7~ the Detective's compromise

"Incendiary bullets? Are you entirely sure that's what they were?" the lead investigator asked.

A few hours had passed since the fire was brought under control and Ryan stood with his brother talking to the detectives leading the case against the Helix. If Ryan's arm hadn't already been patched up, he'd have shown the slight burns that surrounded the scar. It would heal quickly of course, because he was who he was, but the mark left no doubt about what he was shot with.

"I'm sure. The projectile was much faster than a dart and had too much piercing power to be anything else than a bullet. It left a steaming hole through a Helix advocate and set fire to whatever it hit. The explosions started as soon as one made contact inside the gas-filled kitchen."

"My brother has enough experience with arson to know his stuff. I'd take his word as fact if I were you," Carman added. His face a hard mask of rumination.

"I have no doubt, Mr. Krag. Just trying to be thorough. We know that the Helix have been building a weapon stock, but incendiary bullets that can be fired from a sniper rifle are something entirely different," he said meeting the red-head's gaze. Inspector Carson earned their respect instantly by holding his ground that way. "We'll need to start looking into possible sellers. Hell, we'll need to start looking at engineers and chemists who could even make such things."

"Agreed. We also need to deal with him," Carson's partner said, pointing to where Kyle sat a few yards away. "The Canes only ever purchased one plot of land. Now, I'm not sure how much money he's got saved in those trusts, but we can't just leave him to his own devices anymore. The Helix know we're on to them and the drug, so we can't just leave him to be snatched up."

Silence followed that point as they all saw the issue for what it was. The Helix Taijitu had grown too powerful. Kyle had told them about how the pale-faced invader used the white chord on himself and was able to shrug off a broken arm. With such a powerful tool of control in their hands, there may not be any place safe from their reach. Any who protected him, could just as easily become a pawn for the Taijitu.

Carman broke the silence. "We'll hold onto him then. Make it clear among relevant officers that the Krag family will protect Kyle Cane. As long as one of us is around, he's about as safe as it gets," he declared.

Detective Carson nodded thoughtfully, but his partner wasn't convinced. "Not to be disrespectful to such a reputable family, but I don't see why that works out for anyone. From what I've been informed, there are only five of you on the islands and two of which are children under the age of thirteen. If Cane goes with you, we risk losing valuable officers as well as the lead."

Both Carman and Ryan raised an eyebrow while Detective Carson simply smiled. "No offense taken. To be honest, I wasn't even referring to my father and the twins. My brother and I are more than enough to handle any Helix attack force. No matter who they send...well...they're still only going to be people."

The cryptic statement had the detective about to argue, but Carson put a hand up to interrupt. He knew what the Krag family was capable of when protecting someone. There was one rumor of Ryan's father protecting an Arabian girl for two weeks against an entire country's military. These two would be as good as it got.

"Alright, we'll be in touch. I know we already owe you more than we can give, but please keep Cane safe until we can deal with these bastards." Handshakes were exchanged and soon Kyle was riding in the back seat of Ryan's car, heading right back to where he'd started the afternoon.

===================the dreamer's desires=================

Julie knew she had the element of surprise going for her. When she heard footsteps approaching the door, a mischievous smile worked its way onto her lips. She quickly set to work, laying a blanket down in the center of the room where it could easily be seen. She stripped off her denim jacket and slippers, then wrapped herself in a bathing suit and splashed a glass of water over her hair.