Chapter 27 🔥 Siren's Blood

Start from the beginning

"Daphne! They're getting more and more!" Amelia shouted as she shifted back to her persona, almost drained out. She was speaking profanities non-stop while combusting monsters on her wake leaving a trail of hundreds dead creatures. But as much as she hate to admit, it was a losing battle. Killing hundreds sprouts a thousand more.

"Almost done! Jump back inside the mouth of the cave when I give you the signal!" The Siren was already crawling towards the other end. Her will was the only thing that kept her going, fighting the urge to submit into oblivion.

"No joke. This will be our grave!" Amelia answered before changing back into a a giant white eagle creature with bat-like wings. She flapped her wings hard, strong currents of wind sent everything in front of her including trees flying away. It was one blow that turned her back into Amelia but nevertheless gave her time to catch her breath before she saw the creatures creeping back up again.

"Great!" Amelia mumbled trying to remain standing strong but her wobbly legs says otherwise. When the monsters were just a few feet away, she tried to shift again but her body only emitted a bright white light for a few seconds then dimmed. "Oh shit! I'm dead meat." She buried her face in her hands, as we walk through the valley of the dead, I fear no evil. . . She began to recite silently accepting her inevitable death.

"Get your dimwit ass over here now!" Daphne's voice interrupted her.

"Allelluhia!" She beamed in relief. Standing up, she focused her aura to the ground and up she went on a high jump landing perfectly beside the Siren. Her happiness drained automatically when her eyes were set on Daphne, "Oh my goddess! What happened?"

Amelia dived beside Daphne's almost limp body and slightly slapped her to keep her awake, "don't you dare die on me, shit head! Why you didn't let me know. Stay with me!"

Daphne smiled seeing the hysterical shifter. Her vision was spotted and blurry but she clearly see the love and panic on her friend's face, "I'll live,  dimwit. Light up my blood." She instructed Amelia.

The shifter raised her left hand to cast the orange fire while she held Daphne on her right.

"Daphne! Daphne!" Amelia's voice echoed when she felt the Siren went immobile, breath shallow and slow. She shook her violently out of desperation .

"O--ouch. Don't k-kill me, idiot." Daphne whispered in an almost inaudible voice. "Listen Amelia. L-let me rest. I will be fine but keep the fire burning." The Siren said before fainting.

That's when Amelia realized that the moment she put her hand down. The fire dies. So she placed Daphne down carefully and raised her left hand steadily for the fire.

Keeping the fire blazing requires a slow emission of power but Amelia was standing there all night. It was after midnight when she fell to her knees from exhaustion. Her right hand supporting her left hand to keep going. Now, she totally regretted not learning how to create fire on both hands.

The monsters were hovering, watching, waiting for a slight chance of a meal. Some were feeding on their dead while a whole lot were eyeing them.

Amelia looked towards the unmoving body of Daphne for an additional boost of will. She knew that she must endure it, otherwise, certain death would be eminent. However, no matter how much she insisted, the time came that her body was in its last thread of strenght. Her fire was slowly fluctuating starting from minutes interval to seconds. Her vision was blurry due to the blood oozing from her eyes, nose and ears. A sign in which tells her that she over exhausted her powers for a long time. If she continued this way, it would be the end of her.

"At least, it's an epic way out. I couldn't complain more." She murmured to herself, wiping the blood from her face with her sleeves. Both of her hands were shaking uncontrollably, the fire was starting to fade away.

Upon seeing this, the creatures were starting to stir in agitation. They're long awaited dinner has finally come.

"Ahhhh!" That was the last draw of her power. Amelia slumped into the cold floor not moving an inch. Her eyes trailed the line of fire that was starting to get smaller and smaller. The shifter looked towards Daphne's direction one last time with tears in her eyes and whispered, "I'm sorry, D." She closed her eyes as the last light of fire faded away and waited.

"Sorry to keep you waiting!"

Agnus voice vibrated through her ears like a miracle. Her eyes opened just in time a blazing red fire ignited the line. She sobbed uncontrollably and felt Agnus' hand on her shoulder.

"Are you okay, Amy?"

"Y-yes. Thank you." She smiled with tenderness. It was the first time Agnus called her that.

"Daphne!" Agnus face was horified when he saw his beloved. He was about to run to her when Amelia pushed herself up and stopped his hand for pulling away from the fire.

"Agnus! Look at me. She's alive, just passed out. Keep the fire line. I will go to her. Okay?"

He nodded at her without taking his eyes away from Daphne when Amelia suddenly asked, "where's Rufus?"

Agnus face paled. He shook his head.

"A-agnus? Where is he?" Amelia asked once again. Her voice was shaking. She was never been afraid but this time she was terrified of the answer. Cold shivers ran through her spine.

Agnus cleared his throat and talked in a throaty voice, "He's gone, Amy. H-he's gone."

"Noooooo!!!" Amelia's voice tore through the whole island. Her agony set the monsters in frenzy when a blazing blue fire coursed out from her body and combusted all of the monsters together with all the wildlife. A sea of ash and black was all that's left behind and a shocked Agnus with his mouth hanging open.