Just The Starting

"So Mina-ah did you get a good night's sleep?" her doctor asked.

"Someone died from leukaemia last night," the 9 year old child said with a straight face and her voice monotone.

The doctor who has been with her for the past 4 years was taken aback.

"Mina.. How did you know that?"

"I dreamt of it." the child replied before saying, "Grandma has cancer."

Her doctor eyes widen. What is she talking about?!

"Mina how can you say such things. You should be praying that your grandma will be healthy always," her doctor said.

"It's true. She just doesn't want everyone to know," her dull voice said.

"How do you know?" her doctor questioned.

"She said in her sleep when I went into the room," her eyes met the doctors.

The way she looked at her doctor was like a haunted porcelain doll. A straight face. Her eyes were a dark. Her pale skin was as if she was not alive. No one knew what was going through her head like how the living doesn't know what the dead is thinking about.

~~
"My Mina! How are you?" her cheerful mother hugged her tight but Mina never gave her one.

"Doctor Kim doesn't believe that Grandma is sick." the young girl said.

Her mother gave an awkward laugh, and smiled, "No honey, she is a very healthy."

"See Mina, Grandma is alright," her doctor said giving a reassuring smile.

The girl stayed quiet looking at the doctor. Doctor Kim felt as if she was suffocating. Mina's eyes were giving her the same look but for no reason she held her breath until the family went out if the hospital.

~~
5 years later..

Mina was home alone on her birthday. It was always been like that for the past 3 years, either her parents were working or having a vacation.

The 14 year old took out the pen that was given to her from her late brother. She looked at it, spinning the pen around not showing any emotion.

She took out a small bag and place the pen inside, along with a notebook and a few clothing. After that she jumped out from her bedroom window, not looking back once.

She wandered around the streets walking into dark and narrow alleys until she came across a bar. She entered and walk towards the bar attender.

"What are you doing her kid?" the male attender asked.

"I'm her to work," Mina replied.

"Sorry kid, you're underage," he said wiping the glass.

"You are short of employees. I'll help you," the teenager replied.

He raised a brow. While she stood there with no reaction.

"Fine, where are your parents?"

"Working."

"Aren't they worried about you?" he asked, surely the parents are worried about where their daughter is at this late.

"Yes, but I don't care," she responded.

He was surprised by her response, "What."

"So what do I start with," she said, sounding like a statement rather than a question.

"W-well, You can mop the floor and later wipe the tables," he said and pointed the mop and bucket.

Mina went and filled the bucket with soap and water. She started mopping the second floor.

After about two hours, she finished her job.

"Good job, here is your pay. Where are you going to stay?" the guy asked.

"Can I have the permission to stay here," she asked, well at least that's what he thinks.

"Fine, in the morning later wash the cups," and with that he left her in the bar, with only the blue lights on.

Mina sat down on a cushion chair and laid down, facing the ceiling. Her eyes slowly closed and she feel asleep.