Barefoot Interview #44: United Kingdom's Jake H.

There are many different people from all over the world who like going barefoot. Some people like doing it as a hobby. On the other hand, other people who go barefoot as a tradition or as a part of their culture. Apparently, there are many who like going barefoot are unable to share their stories. So, this will be a long interviewing series while talking to people who are from all over and let them speak about their barefooting. So, welcome the newest barefoot interviewee, Jake H. He is (currently) a 28-year-old who is currently learning how to code so I can be a website designer/developer; he was born in Southampton, United Kingdom and resides in Southampton, United Kingdom. Here is what he had to say about being barefoot.

What inspired you to go barefoot?

I have autism and sensory processing disorder (SPD) so I have to go barefoot 24/7 as any shoes even flip-flops cause me to get severely overstimulated. It happened about 5 years ago and was bearable at first but it got worse and worse it started to affect my mental state so I decided to throw all my shoes away for the sake of my mental health. I've always loved being barefoot so it's a bonus that I now have to.

What are some of the reasons you like going barefoot?

I love the feel of the ground and no longer getting overstimulated from shoes.

Name some places you like going barefoot (besides at home and the beach).

I love walking in the rain barefoot and I absolutely love just standing in the snow barefoot for hours. It's soooooo relaxing.

Where would you like to try and go barefoot that you haven't done so?

Travel the world and feel the different terrains in the world.

Why do you think people should go barefoot in public more often beside at home and the beach?

It's not only much more comfortable than wearing shoes but far healthier too.

Give us a story of a time you went barefoot and had a lot of fun doing it.

I love going for long walks in the rain walking through every puddle I see barefoot.

Why do you think some stores and businesses have "banned" going barefoot?

I've never had any problems with stores here in the U.K. but I've heard lots of stores in the U.S.A. are problematic for barefooters. I think the main reason for it is they're afraid of being sued in case we step on something when in reality these dangers are over-exaggerated. Besides we as barefooters know the potential risks and how to avoid them without resorting to shoes.

If possible, please share any of your barefooting experiences.

I met a young college student once who as it turned out had gone barefoot 24/7 her whole entire life. She's never even owned any shoes or footwear of any kind. We call each other our happy foot twin. :)

Since going barefoot is healthy, why do you think people deny it?

I think most people that deny it think of all the risks of going barefoot which are over-exaggerated when in reality by going barefoot you're more aware of where you step.

Finish this analogy: Someone who does not want to go barefoot is like...

Someone denying their freedom.

What would you say to someone who thinks going barefoot (in public) is gross?

I'd tell that wearing shoes is far grosser and I'd encourage them to try it. :)

Conclusion.

I do thank Jake H. for taking the time and answering these questions and as well as supporting that going barefoot is actually a good and healthy thing. Tune in next time when someone else in another country talks about their likes on barefooting. Remember, speak your mind, comment down below, and happy barefooting.