[Chapter 8] "Melancholy"

Your now dull (E/C) eyes looked down at your skirt while your clammy hands gently yet nervously tugged it down.

Katsuo reached out to you before halting midway. His hand stayed frozen in the air for a moment before he pulled it back. He had realized you probably didn't need another stranger touching you.

"Thanks for the.. uh... the help." You said, still looking down at the cold, gray pavement you were sitting on.

"It's no problem.. I saw you get pulled in there and.. I didn't want anything bad to happen to you. I would have done the same for anyone.." He said, his vibrant eyes burning into your skin, though it wasn't intentional at all.

"We should.. go.." You mumbled, slowly standing up as you spoke. You quietly dusted off your skirt and knees, trying to fill the awkward silence between you two with unnecessary actions didn't work though. The space remained as tense as it was before.

You looked up at him, then quickly away and back at the sidewalk. Your mind was racing, but your body failed to be as panicked. You walked out of the alleyway, tired and scared, though you were too tired to act on your panic.

"See you later." You muttered before continuing on your way.

/\ Katsuo's POV /\

I watched silently as she trudged away, shock consuming her body. I was in a bit of shock myself, so I didn't really know what to say.

It frustrated me, seeing the after-effects of that situation.

'Just like him.'

I stood up and looked at where she was sitting before.

'I should have helped her..'

I dusted off my pants and took a deep breath, letting any sign of concern leave my face. Not long after that I walked out of the alleyway and continued down the sidewalk.

Evidently, the (H/C) girl had speed walked or ran to school, she was nowhere in my sight.

I let out a sigh of defeat and looked down at the ground, frustrated that I hadn't helped more.

'Whatever.. she's not worth my time anyway.'

\/ Second Person POV \/

You ran down the sidewalk, shaking the tears from your misty eyes as you did. You sped through the gates of the school and into the nearest bathroom.

You stared at yourself in the mirror, tears now freely flowing down your cheeks. You sniffled softly and wiped them away with your sleeve.

'I'm.. I'm gonna be late..'

You immediately began dabbing your cheeks with water and drying them off, making it look like you hadn't been crying at all. You fixed up your hair and smiled.

'Like nothing happened. We're good..'

You hurriedly walked out of the bathroom and down to your homeroom class, ensuring that you wouldn't be late.

You raced out of the bathroom and down the winding halls to your next class.

Chemistry.

You had always been awful at chemistry, for whatever reason, you couldn't seem to shake the struggle. No matter how much you studied for the tests, you failed. Every answer on your homework was incorrect more than half the time.

You sighed and closed your locker, a sense of dread consuming your body. You looked down at the slip of paper you'd written your classroom numbers on, and soon realized you had no idea where that class would be. Panic swelled in your chest and you swiftly turned around, looking around for anything that could point you in the correct direction. To your misfortune, no such thing was available.

'Plan B.. Run around 'til you find it...' You thought, the burning in your chest continuing with a passion.

You began to dart down the hall your locker was in, checking the room numbers as you did, then moving onto the next. You soon realized the 4 minute passing period wouldn't be long enough for you to search both floors, but continued to sprint through the halls. You managed to reach your classroom, though it was 3 minutes after the bell rang.

"(L/N) (F/N), I see you're late." Your teacher spat, disdain clear in his high pitched voice.

"Yes, I am.. I couldn't find the class. Sorry." You said, trying to sound as apologetic as possible. You hadn't met this man before now, but you could already barely stand him.

He paused like he was considering something else, before speaking once more.

"Take a seat." He snapped, obviously annoyed with you already.

"Sorry.." You managed to splutter out. You looked around to see the only seat left open was one in the middle, far from the window.

'I suppose I shouldn't have expected a window seat, I was late after all..' You thought, gloomily sitting down in your less than satisfactory seat.

As the teacher droned on, your mind stayed blank, you only barely heard him clearly, few words made sense. The boy sitting next to you looked over at you, naturally of course, you were the only female in the class. Though after seeing your seemingly lifeless eyes locked on the black countertop, he had to look away, you were disturbing to him.

You only snapped out of your trance once the bell rung, the loud and annoying sound invading your peace, and destroying your lack of worry. Albeit, that moment wouldn't have lasted long anyway.

You swiftly stood up, collected your things and walked out the door, an air of sadness following your form. As you trudged to your locker, you found yourself pressing your legs together more and more, unable to suppress the pure grossness that engulfed your body.

You continued on after reaching and collecting what you needed from your locker, once again confused. You looked up, your eyes locking with familiar chocolatey eyes, those of course belonging to your not-so-official boyfriend. Mitzuba smiled and waved at you, and you of course smiled back, his soft charm working it's way into your heart.

"Hey.." You said, a light smile on your face. "Could you show me the way to..." You pause, checking the paper once more. "Room 740?" You looked up at him again, only to find him swiftly looping his arm in yours and leading you up the nearest stairwell. It was only a few moments before you were at your next class.

"You.. Sure do know your way around.. Thank you." You said, a friendly and loving smile painted on your (S/T) face.

He let a smile grace his pale skin and pink lips once again. "Of course. It'd be weird not to." He said, his eyes locking with yours.

"Well, I'll see you around." He said cheerily, then walked back down the stairs, presumably to his next class. Your heart seemed to flutter, and an almost unnoticeable blush dusted your cheeks.

'This is moving too fast. Keep yourself together, (Y/N)! You barely know him!' You thought as you walked into your next classroom, still attempting to knock some sense into your already lovestruck mind.

It wasn't long before you had a blank expression back on your face, remembering what had happened that morning. You thus caught the attention of the blond you had met on your first day.

He slowly reached out, then tapped you on the shoulder. His eyes only showed concern when your (E/C) eyes drifted to his jewel esque amber ones. "Yes..?" You mumbled, both tired and disheartened.

"You j-just look kinda down... are you okay..?"

[1241 Words]