Chapter 35

A/N: please read A/N at the end xo

I wasn't going to step aside when they were getting essential information about my sister and kingdom. Bed rest or not, I knew what I had to do. My body was running on adrenaline as my mind conjured up several plans that would get me into the dungeons as soon as possible.

"You there." I shouted to a soldier that was standing by the staircase. His eyes fixed on me with a searching gaze, recognition glinting in his light blue orbs.

"Yes, Miss?" Relief flooded through me as not a hint of belligerence could be detected in his tone. That meant that I was no longer under the category of the prisoner princess but rather, an ally.

That should make matters way more simple than I had thought.

"I need you to tell me how to get to the dungeons." I let each word leave my lips strictly, perhaps being slightly too straightforward.

When the soldier looked unconvinced by my command, I quickly added. "The king requested my presence. In a rush to be quick, it has slipped my mind to ask where it is located."

Pretending to lace my voice with urgency was easy-peasy, considering I was going ballistic on the inside. For all I knew, I could be missing out on the whole investigation!

The guard hesitated for a long, chilling moment before nodding his head. "You're right, we shouldn't make the king wait. You have to take the red staircase at the end of the corridor, which leads to the back exit of the castle. Once outside, turn left until you see a metal door that says 'no entrance'." His eyes wandered up to the ceiling, lost in his wonders for a moment before he tumbled out.

"They leave the door open when investigations are being held. You can walk right in."

Taking everything in, I mentally repeated everything he had said before letting a thankful grin spread over my lips. "Thank you so much, Sir." And with that, I was off.

Thinking about it, the outlay of Serentile was way more clever than Ellenia's- where the dungeons were located in the basement. This way, if prisoners escaped, they could not seize control of the castle and were a thousand times more vulnerable and easy to spot as they were out in the open. But again, Serentile's criminals were a whole lot more savage than the law-breaking citizens of Ellenia.

When I reached the red staircase, I scanned the area for one of the doctors or Rhoda or Gemma in case they had noticed my absence. Only once I was sure the coast was clear, did I dive towards the red stairs.

It was only after what felt like hours of throwing a fit that I was fine without having any sort of medical treatment, that I came to an agreement with the doctor. One that I was not truthfully holding up my part in, as I contemplated ways of opening the dungeon's heavy door without making any noise.

'They were already here.' I thought desperately as I tiptoed down the spiral stairs. A strong smell hit my nose that almost had me gagging. The place reeked blood, rotting flesh and death. I scrunched up my nose and shivered at the thought of the things that had taken place in the space I was about to enter.

I had heard of Serentile's torturing methods, and Harry's in particular. They were renowned as outstandingly merciless; every spy's worst nightmare. And I was about to have a first row ticket to one of king Harry's sessions.

These thoughts continued to haunt me as I fled into the dungeon on the tip of my toes, hating the deafening silence that was making the sound of my steps almost impossible to cover.
There was a long hallway at the end of the stairs. The walls were made of stone and floor of harsh concrete. At the end of it was a big metal door. Realising I had come to a dead end, I had no choice but to cautiously fling the door open.