Chapter 5

"Sir." Someone said, snapping me out of my thoughts. I turned towards the source of the voice and saw a butler looking at me expectantly.

"Would you like some tea?" He asked, he was dressed in a black suit and a tie, giving me a polite smile.

"Yes, please." I replied with a tight lipped smile, thanking him with a nod as I lowered myself into the soft cushioned leather chair.

It was so weird - not having to hold my dress when sitting down.

I glanced over at a seemingly old man who had his eyes trained on me. He was about 5.5 feet tall - not nearly as tall as his king, dressed in a pure white expensive suit and what looked like a jaeger tie. His hair thinned at the top of his head in spiked, dark grey strands, cropped neatly. His deep set blue eyes stared at me intensely, his head cocked to the side. His pot belly was visible as he leant back in his seat, folding his arms over his chest with a beady look.

I didn't like the way he was looking at me, it was like he knew something he wasn't supposed to.

The butler soon came back with a pot of tea, pouring it into the small cup that had been placed in front of me. 

"Milk?" He asked and I nodded.

He poured some into the cup and stirred it for me before placing the spoon on the table, scurrying away.

My attention turned to the head of the table where Mr. Styles cleared his throat, calling everyone's attention to him.

"Now, I'll have you know something you should pass on to your king. I don't give second chances, you broke my trust that will never be repaired. However, use this hour to convince me why there should be peace between both kingdoms and you might be put on trial." He stated firmly, his eyes burning into mine.

Quite frankly, his eyes made my stomach twist. They were much too intense... That fear crept back to me, even in a pitch dark room you could see that glinting shade.

Both Mr. Black and Mr. Robertson were seated by me, giving me a sense of protection. I cleared my throat, ready to launch in.

"I do believe you care for your people, sir. With Serentile and Ellenia being the strongest monarchies, I doubt the amount of deaths will not be significant." I said, taking a sip of my tea.

I watched as he slowly leant forward in his chair, elbows resting on his knees, face radiating fierce calmness.

"Now a question has to be asked, Mr. Armstrong. Are you part of the army?" He emphasised lowly, pursing his lips as he waited for my response. I vaguely felt my men tense beside me, perfectly aware I wasn't ready to do this super important vital job and join the army just yet.

I briefly wondered what was going through his mind right now. What did that question have to do with what I had said?

"No, but I shall be in a few years." I replied tentatively.

Out of the corner of my eye I noticed the old man's mouth turning upwards in a faded smirk, one you would've missed if you hadn't looked closely.

"Then I'll have you know something." He trailed off. "Every person joining the army has to take an oath to demonstrate their sincerity. Military personnel are extremely patriotic and willing to sacrifice themselves for their country. So, say a war has been purged because of treason, I reckon the soldiers would gladly fight to gain the respect their country has lost."

Balling my hands into fists under the table, I grunted. "It was genocide! We had to step in, otherwise they would've died out!."

By the look on his face, he knew I was referring to the devastating war with Dearland.