Chapter 21

A/N: posting this chapter even though we haven't reached 230 bc ilysm and your comments and support yesterday made me so freaking happy :)

The king's fists began to clench and his jaw rooted. I had never seen someone this angry before; he was nearly shaking. I sat, frozen to the spot. His eyes had turned so animalistic and primal that I couldn't breath for a full minute. Every single word the frustrated soldier had said only fuelled the fire inside of him, burning rage hissing through his body like deathly poison.

I realised bringing his family into this was the worst mistake the poor guy had ever made. Seemingly Harton had realised it too, only now it was too late to take back his words.

"What did you just fucking say?" He towered over the blond guy that seemed to be doing an awful job at looking confident and unfazed. He was failing miserably.

"I'm sorry I--."

My eyes widened an an involuntary gasp escaped my lips as the king brought up his fist and smashed it against the guy's face, sending him flying over and falling on his back.

Soon enough Harry Styles was full on beating the guy up, throwing kick after kick and punch after punch. His skill astounded me, he fought with such malice and the obvious rage he displayed caused my body to tingle with goosebumps.

"Never. Ever. Mention. Them. Again. Or. I will. Fucking. End. Your. Sorry. Arse." He bellowed, his actions far from ceasing.

Another cry of anguish pierced the air and by this point I knew the blond would be lucky to walk away with a few broken bones. The way the young king was laying into him was something terrifying.

People were starting to gather around them, although no come dared come to the blond's rescue. A moment of palpable spread around the yard, everyone sharing the same facial expression of hesitation and paralysis. We weren't dejected or glum for the guy, wasn't the king of "I feel sorry for you man" you say when squeezing someone's hand. No, we were actually aghast.

Expansive hands gripped the blond's shirt, fisting it and forcing him up against the tree effortlessly. My body jolted as the furious man tugged Harton from his leaning position, only to aggressively slam his back into the tree. I watched in horror as he delivered a hefty punch to Harton's stomach before letting his body crumble to the floor.

I lost my breath and watched the fight speechless and wide eyed. From all the stories I had heard about him, I knew he was hard on his soldiers and in great need of anger management, but never had I thought it was that bad. Whoever provoked the flare of darkness in his eyes was dead meat.

"Sir y-you are going to kill him if you keep that up." I mentally bowed down to the man who spoke up, silently wishing I was the one to stop the mess.

Quite honestly, I had never been so ashamed of my own behaviour in my life. I knew I was going to regret it later. I'd beat myself up. But at that moment, all meaning and logic escaped me as fear took over my senses. Seeing something so ferocious and not speaking up wasn't me- my old self would surely step in to help the guy, no way would she let violence take place in front of her eyes without trying to stop it. No matter what the consequences were.

My old self was virtuous; able to look fear in the eyes. Nothing scared the old me, my morals always came first. I was fearless.

But now, as I watched the severe acts of Harry Styles, the way he had lost control and beat the life out of an innocent soldier for one simple slip of the tongue, I knew I was scared. Legit terrified. And if I wanted to find an equilibrium, to rewind time to the way my parents had brought me up, if I wanted to look in the mirror and see a brave warrior rather than a wimpy coward, I had to take all necessary measures.

Instinctively, my eyes peered down at the dark marks on my skin. A reminder of the king's aggressiveness and short temper, the things he was capable of. I was still a bit shaken up from our last encounter, not that it was a good enough reason to let such vile actions slide.

And the mere fact he had forced himself into being my self defence trainer did nothing but add up to the horror building up in my lower abdomen. One mistake or remark and I could end up like that Harton guy; laying in a puddle of his own blood under a tree.

I risked a peek backwards at the curly haired giant to find his eyes twinkling in acrimony, face pinched with fury and knuckles torn open with fresh blood dripping down onto the ground. The colour of blood symbolised danger. And that's what everyone in Ellenia kept telling me. He was void of emotion as he stared down at the mess his uncontrollable anger had caused, and I was thankful of the window for forming some sort of barrier between me and the horrifying scene. I took my lip between my lips and gnawed on it nervously. Next time this window won't be here to keep me safe.

I didn't know what was going to happen next, but one thing I was positive of; I was not staying in this kingdom a moment longer.

A/N

EVERYONE KEPT SAYING SHED STEP IN BUT NOOOOOO

I'll update soon, love you so so much xxxxxx