Chapter 29

"Stay on the watch for if someone decides to look for me. Make sure they know I'll be back in a few minutes." Harry told the guard dismissively.

I looked up at the king as his large body approached me. I couldn't decide what frightened me more. The fact I didn't know what he could possibly want with me that required leaving the ball, or the fact that he was two times my size and livid with me.

Everything together made my heartbeat skyrocket.

I took meek steps backwards, dozens of possibilities swirling around my brain. Perhaps my family was finally showing an interest in bargaining my return. Or worse, they could be attacking Serentile in order to get me back... I didn't know what in the world could rile him up that quickly in the middle of his sister's birthday.

I guess I was about to find out.

He looked like an animal that was about to snap as he wrapped a thick arm around my waist, dragging me with him. Saying his actions were ungentle would be an understatement.

I could do nothing when he made a beeline for the closest exit, pulling me up a sideways flight of stairs before a scene would unfold.

We didn't manage to sneak out fully unnoticed, for a few guests did toss us side glances, seeing their king manhandling the Ellenia soon to be queen. Not that I would expect anyone to speak up, let alone openly stare at me being roughly dragged away. Questioning the king's decision was nearly a death wish over here, something that would certainly not go unpunished.

Whoever I'd try to make eye contact with, pleadingly seeking help turned a blind eye as if the king's actions were as legitimate as buying me candy floss.

We entered a room which looked like an office. The wall was coated in a layer of pastel yellow paint and the desk that was a black colour matched the chair behind it. I frowned at the lack of decorations on the walls; engulfing the room with an off aura.

I noticeably flinched when he slammed the door vigorously behind us.

My ears picked his footsteps nearing me, but afraid I would lose my composure, I didn't turn to face him.

Please go away. I needed him to go away. I could feel my chest constricting with perturbation as my breathing could be heard all around the room. His aggressiveness was sending my body into a frenzy, and I was dreading his next move.

And indeed, my anxiousness was in place.

I yelped as he grabbed my wrist in a bruising grip, fiercely turning my body to face him. "Oh little Princess." He suddenly smiled menacingly at me, a bitter laugh vibrating from his throat. "A good bait you are. But a pity game can only last so far before your opponent gets tired of it. Hasn't daddy told you that?"

I eyed him as if he had grown another head, not following where his ambiguous speech was heading. Why would he all of a sudden name me a bait? His brain surely had a way with interpreting things; because as far as I was aware, I was not trying to lure anyone in.

I squeaked as he pushed my body against the wall, feeling traces of fury starting to boil deep in my system at the way he was treating me. Although I was smart enough to gulp it down; fully knowing he had the upper hand when it came down to physical matters. Plus, I was not fully recovered from our last incident- the severe violence he had displayed against a soldier of his own. I was nowhere ready to face his uncontrollable anger on my own. Which I may add, was utterly uncalled for.

"Please, I don't know what you're talking about. Don't hurt me."

"Do I need to remind you who you're shitting? The longer you lie the more torturous your death will be." He didn't even bat an eye at the word death, his voice eerily monotonous as it echoed around the room. "Admit you're a pawn in all this."

"I don't understand what you're suggesting, please enlighten me." My voice was drained, the word death reverberating excruciatingly around my mind.

You could discern a variety of emotions that swept through my mind at the fact he had decided to end it. But surprise wasn't one of the things swarming my body. However, the reason as to why he had tended to it just now remained unclear to me.

And yes, I was willing to beg for my life. I had many years and experiences I would hate to miss out on. And a kingdom I was so desperate to take over. People that needed a steady monarch. And with these thoughts, my ache to fight for my life was boosted.

Harry loomed over me like a demonic shadow, his eyes an angry shade of green as he spoke through harshly gritted teeth. "I requested a meeting with your Father and was rudely declined. You better tell me what your backup plan is and when they're going to strike." He paused, his voice sending shivers down my spine.

His words hurt, I wasn't willing to deny that. My eyes were dying to shed some tears, but I refrained from letting them fall. As much as my throat screamed at me, I couldn't afford to give him the pleasure of making me cry. My Father rejected a meeting with the man who took his daughter hostage?

And no, I had no idea what he was talking about. It was rubbish to my ears.

He surprised me by grabbing the back of my head and giving it a firm squeeze that was sure to knock the oxygen out of my lungs. My eyes went wide at his actions.

He had no idea how terrified of him I was at the moment. I was absolutely petrified. He was doing this on purpose to intimidate me, a torturing technique to let me know there would he severe consequences if I didn't divulge my 'real intentions'. I was aware he was not fooling around and would easily carry his threat out. But I could put up a show, an illusion and act unfazed. Or rather, try and act unfazed. He would never believe me if I acted all wimpy and apprehensive. I made sure my voice came out steady and unbothered as I answered his thickheaded questions.

"So, delicately put. You're blaming me for setting you up." Despite my attempts to conceal my pain, I sounded like a strangled cat that just got run over by a car.

And knowing his patience was wearing thin along with his unwavering grip on my neck, I hurried to find my next words. "But why would my Father send me off to die? I'm his heir in law, and believe me when I say he was against letting me go. I know it turned out pretty bad on my side, but my intentions were pure- hold the negotiations, meet the neighbouring king, bestow wish upon my people and go back home safe and sound." I spoke, praying the Lord he'd see where I was coming from. "I was just as flabbergasted as you were when they attacked."

If you told me back at the palace I'd ever give such a conversation the time of day I'd probably chortle in your face. His attitude was infuriating, the sort of behaviour I would no way encourage let alone acknowledge. Yet here I was, fearing that being too stubborn would cause him to rush into the decision of killing me. I had to play my cards right if I wanted to make it out. And even though nothing was guaranteed, I wanted to make a valiant effort. If I were to die, at least I tried to save myself. I would die with my chin up.

At least one of my mottoes hadn't changed.

I exhaled when his grip on me loosened, his expression thoughtful as he zoned out. I was smarter than to interrupt his train of thoughts as I waited patiently for his answer. His features seemed to drop some of the vehemence they previously held.

That must be a good sign.

"Prove it to me then." He finally spoke as his voice had an edge to it.

That gave me an ounce of courage. He was willing to give me a chance, and I was desperate to take it. "I'll do everything."

I half expected him to shift back to detective mode, yet he never did. But rather, gave me an opportunity that left me even more flummoxed than I was before.

"You'll ring your family from an unknown number and tell them you escaped and want them to pick you up. You'll put the phone on speaker. Make sure to be extra careful with how you choose your words, there won't be anymore chances."

I immediately nodded. That seemed like a great opportunity to both get a grasp of what was going on back at home and prove the king wrong- I was not a pawn.

And without further ado, he placed his phone in my shaky palm

A/N

So Harry is back in full force ;) what do you think is going on back in Ellenia? Let me know your opinions! Xxxx