Chapter 8

That was so unfair. I was still young, my life experience not near halfway done. I simply wanted to bring peace amongst my people- was it too much to ask for?

"But since it's your first time here." I flinched when his hand grazed my cheek, sending shivers down my spine as I tried to hold my whine of protest back. "I'll cut you some slack."

I stood there, rooted to the spot, breathing heavily under his unfaltering gaze.

I wasn't fond of the way he was hovering above me, captivating green eyes holding my gaze hostage. By the looks of it, he was not only behind the moves Serentile made - like my father, but he was also chief of the defence staff. His big muscular arms ,dominance and self esteem gave it all away. Guaranteed I wasn't the only individual he had struck terror into.

Suddenly, I felt his overwhelming presence retreat, an inaudible sigh pushing past my parted lips. I felt like something had snapped within me, as I acted on pure instinct of self-preservation, running towards the first open doorway, the one he  had come from. My heart leapt with joy and merriment. For one instant I thought I was going to make it out of this exotic room without being stopped.

A hand snaked up to grab hold of my arms, causing me to yelp in pain as I was roughly pushed into a hard chest.

He hissed under his breath as he gave me a little shake, spinning me around to face him. Fear crept up my back as I saw the malicious flash in his eyes, that were now a dark olive shade, piercing into my blue ones.

"Are you going to try that again, my dear Melody? Or do I have to drag you by your hair next time?" I imagined him pulling me by my hair and I winced to myself. That surely would hurt.

My gaze fell to the floor, silently shaking my head. I didn't want to stay here under that psycho's watch, didn't want to imagine  what he'd do to me. I felt vulnerable around him - all my authority was gone, I didn't know anyone, it seemed like he heavily outran me, and to be sadly frank, I wouldn't stand a chance against him if he were to lash out.

Catching me completely off guard, he sprang forward way too fast for me to comprehend, having me pressed against the wall, hands grabbing painfully onto my wrists in a vice-grip.

I felt his warm breath fan against the sensitive skin of my earlobe. "Now now, since you'll be staying here for a while, I reckon we should cover some ground rules." He rasped into my ear as I struggled and twisted like a fish out of water.

"Stop moving!" He snapped into my ear, pushing his hips into mine, causing me to yelp.

After a few more futile attempts to free myself out of his grip, I gave into him with a loud groan. He went on.

"Okay so my first and most important rule is no escaping. I'm not leaving you to rot out down in the dungeons, don't make me regret it because it can be changed in a snap of a finger. Try and run, I'll catch you. A punishment will follow."

I sank my teeth into my bottom lip in irritation. Does he expect me to give him a thank you kiss for that?

"Moving on." He continued, moving back to look me dead in the eyes. "If I tell you to do something, you do it."

My jaw rooted at his words. Hopefully he wasn't going to ask for too many things for I was a rather stubborn woman.

"And last but not least, if you try to defy me in any shape, way or form, I won't hesitate to take action. Poking your nose into my business counts too. " he huffed in discontent, seeming to grow more aggravated than he already was.

That's why he got so worked up over me trying to offer him help back at the meeting, I realised.

I held eye contact with him, searching his eyes for any piece of sympathy, even if it was tucked far away- dawning on him that he was acting utterly risible.  I found none. He was dead serious about those ludicrous rules, the agonising truth making my blood race.

I tried in vain to push past him, hating the close proximity. However, to my dismay, the young king only inched closer, every curve of our bodies pressing against each other. I had never been this close to a man before, all I wanted was to disappear, to be back at the palace where I was being treated with respect.

This time he was not nearly as gentle as he grabbed hold of my arms in a fierce grip, way fiercer than before. He shook me hard, pulling my body up against his, making me wince as a sharp pang of pain surged my senses.

I just wanted him to get away from me.

He lifted me up so that I stood at the tips of my toes, face moving closer to mine. His full lips pulled back as he spoke, teeth gritted.

"Want to test my patience, Melody? I promise I'm a man of my word."

A man of his word? Then why didn't you dismiss us safely like promised?

I wanted to say, but knowing I was walking on thin ice, I chose to act out of wisdom rather than rage and shake my head.

"Good girl." He cooed, studying my face for any kind of objections. My face stayed blank, forbidding any sort of emotion to cross it, resembling a white canvas.

"Enough said. I'll see you soon."

And with that, he let go of me, turned and left the room, simple as that. I heard the door clicking open before slamming shut behind his intimidating form. He had this ridiculous, untrue idea in his mind that I was so beneath him. Even if I weren't a crowned princess, I'd still wish to be treated with respect. I believed every human being needed to do as you would be done by, it was just fair.

Pressing a hand to my mouth, I levelled my breathing and blinked back the waterworks.

My parents raised me right, I had to make sure I didn't stray away from this path. No matter what torment that man decided to put me through, I couldn't afford to lose myself.

A/N

Please vote & comment if you enjoy this book ilysm xxxx