Chapter 4

My eyes travelled to each tree that passed by the car. Cold snow was descending from the gloomy sky, like a fluffy blanket covering the mesmerising woods, making them look almost magical. I was seated by the window, the two guards sitting in the back with me, keeping their mouths shut the whole ride- much to my annoyance. I had tried to make conversation, constantly bringing matters up to no avail- it was like talking to monotone robots.

The smell of a new car filled my senses, figuring they'd get a brand new car for such a mission- where the first impression was a major part of the whole ordeal. It's hardwired in the human brain to assess a person within about the first seconds of meeting them- therefore if we make a good impression, we're more likely to get Styles and his crew to cooperate with us.

"It's quite snowy out there." I muttered out of sheer boredom, pinching my eyebrows together.

Mr. Black locked gazes with me for a second, his eyes focused and refrained before he looked away with a curt nod.

We had been on this road for around an hour now and apparently had a long way to go, it felt like we were going no where but in a loop - passing by the same trees. I knew for a fact we were still on Ellenia's grounds, but were drastically nearing the border; meaning we'd soon cross over and be under the force of a foreign monarchy. The Serentile castle was approximately five hours away, the closet of all castles. 

I felt my eyelids getting heavy. I might as well sleep a little to kill time and increase my chances of coming across as confident. Soon enough, I found myself giving in to the addicting feel of closing my eyes before sleep overtook me, swallowing me into a peaceful daze.

***

My eyes flattered open and I let out a deep yawn, covering my mouth with my hand to muffle the sound. I reached up with the back of my hand to rub the sleepiness out of my eyes, stretching my back lightly.

We were still driving, the royal chauffeur currently sipping on a tin of coke. I felt the car slowing down, indicating we were no longer in the woods but in a more populated place. I snuggled up to the car door, leaning my body against it whilst my head turned to look out the window, immediately coming to the conclusion we were no longer in Ellenia.

The differences were easy to point out as I gaped at the foggy window, my eyes landing on a certain building. It was a multi-storied, run-down block of flats that looked like it could barely hold itself up. Some of the walls were caving in, and the brick was old and worn-out. I watched the building fade away through the tinted window, until it had completely vanished.

I wish no one had to live in such a place.

It was extremely unlike my country - in Ellenia, we were known for not having many economic fundamental problems. Sure, all societies face that problem to some extent, it's unavoidable although father simply did a great job of keeping it at bay. He invested in many projects and campaigns of renovation therefore helping the poor out.

I kept inspecting the seemingly polluted city, all the buildings looking similar to the one that had caught my attention. It was like driving in a deserted town during an apocalypse, I didn't like it one bit. I half expected to see zombies running around the streets. I took deep, steady breaths as I looked around, noticing a few pedestrians. So it wasn't isolated after all.

That place made me uncomfortable, causing my knees to bounce up and down.

"How long until we get to the Serentile castle?" I asked.

Mr. Robertson cleared his throat before answering my question. "About half an hour, your Royal Highness."

I thanked him quietly, going back to gazing out the window.