Chapter 23

5 years later

It's been 4 years since our divorce was finalized. Yes, that's right we ended up getting a divorce considering this type of stuff has happened 3 times. I kept my house in Alabama as an inheritance but moved to Athens so the kids could be closer to Brantley, Ma, Kolby, and their Step mom.

Yea you heard right Brantley got re-married last year. Pathetic really, I mean he said he loved me but got back with Amber? It's whatever. He's on tour right now so I'm juggling being a full time mom and a full time nurse. Ma helps out a lot.

I however am seeing someone. His name is Kane, and he sings with Brantley. He lives in Chattanooga and is on tour so we see each other when we can. We came out to the public about a month ago and have been dating almost 6 months now.

The 3 musketeers are now 16. Bailey, Ryder, and Bentley all got trucks from Brantley and Amber to bribe them to stay with them full time when he's home. Of course that didn't work, they're momma's babies. They still kept them, however, and they see Brantley when he's home often. They even flew out to see him a few times.

Well, except Bentley. Bentley is a momma's boy and hates that Brantley did what he did. He still sees him, just not as often as the rest of the kids. It's sad really.

Anna and Cassie are now 14. They, like the triplets, were bribed but they didn't take it. However they go to their dad's every weekend that he's home. He bribed them with horses, however the horses stay at my house when they are here and his on the weekends he has them. They don't really understand what's going on with us and why we divorced, but they side with me.

Kade is now 12 and still a momma's boy. Brantley hates it because he never wants to go over there, he would rather stay with me. He was also bribed with a new dog, Devil, and he stays at my house full time. That didn't work out. Kade hates going to B and Amber's so I don't usually force him, however he has to go the first and last weekend B is in town. He usually goes once or twice more depending on how long he's home.

Tegan is now 10. She was also bribed and ended up agreeing only because she's a daddy's girl. She stays with him Monday-Friday when he's home and with me on weekends I'm not working. I love that she still wants to be with her dad.

It's my birthday and I decided to see Ma for it since she's the only mom figure I have right now. I load all the kids up and head over there.

When I pull up Brantley and Kolby's truck are in the driveway. All the kids jump out and I follow them, laughing.

I walk in and Amber rolls her eyes. She's always done that. I hug Kolby and ignore Brantley like I always do.

"Happy birthday, Buttmuch." Kolby said. I punched him in his arm and said thanks.

"Hoes Kane doing? When will he be home?" Ma asks.

"He's good, he's coming over next weekend when he has a break." I reply.

"Happy birthday girl! Your an amazing momma to our babies," Brantley says, hugging me. Amber glares at me. Oh well.

I go to reply but my phone goes off, Kane tagged me in a photo on Instagram and Twitter.

Kanebrown_music: Happy birthday baby girl 💓 kinda sorta throwback to about 2 months ago when you were using your mechanic skills to fix up my truck for me

Kanebrown_music: Happy birthday baby girl 💓 kinda sorta throwback to about 2 months ago when you were using your mechanic skills to fix up my truck for me. Your amazingly perfect and super talented. Your a damn good girlfriend and nurse. Love ya long time ❤️

Liked by: Brantleygilbert and 201 others

Dakotesoriginal: Thank you baby ❤️ your so amazing and can't wait for your sweet ass to get home!!

Brantley slams his phone down and walks outside. What was that about ? My phone rings before I can question anybody.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Hey Dakota, it's work. We need you to come in. I know it's your birthday and everything but I really need you," my boss lorrie says.

"On my way, be there in 20." I said.

"I love you momma but I got to go to work, I'll see you later. Come on Kade, Cassie, Anna, and Tegan! I gotta get y'all to the house. Bailey, Ryder, Bentley, since y'all drove your trucks I'll let y'all stay and go home later." I say.

"No, they can stay here and go home with me and Amber. It's fine Dakota, i missed them." Brantley tells me.

"Thank you Brantley. Your a life saver I didn't wanna drive across town to take them back home." I reply, hugging him.

"Babe, you forgot today was date day. We planned on laying around the house whenever we got home, it wasn't planned that the kids come over," Amber said.

"Well I want them over so they are coming over and staying the night because I figure Dakota is probably gonna go ahead and work a double. If Kade wants his momma to come get him he can have her come get him, as well as the other kids, but as of right now they are staying." He argued

"Whatever BG! We never have alone time you always have one of the kids over!" She huffs, walking out.

"I'll take them to the house if I have to, it's not a problem." I tell him

"Hell nah they are my kids, and I want them over she can get over it." He tells me

"Thank you. Now Musketeers if your dad needs help getting the kids over to his house since all he has is a truck then y'all help him and can come back, okay?" I say, in my mom voice.

"Yes ma'am" they all say. Good. "Well I love you guys come give me hugs!" I say.

After hugs and thanks are given I run out and grab the scrubs I keep in my van. I change and then head to the hospital.