Chapter 3

Dakota's POV

I walk into the hospital and run to the surgery room and nobody is there. I run to my office and look through the the papers and run to my patients room.

"Why aren't his vitals checked? Or is he in the surgery room?' I ask agitated as hell. They all rush to do his vitals and prep him for suregery. I fix his lungs and make sure they won't collapse before moving to his heart and cast him up. It took roughly 10 hours. I walk out and tell the family he will wake up, we just don't know when yet. But they can visit him.

I go to my office to do paperwork before I get another surgery, and this time it's a C-section. I do that and clock out. Its been roughly 24 hours since ive been here, and have another double tomorrow. As I'm going home I head to Momma's because I forgot some paperwork. I call Ko.

K- what's up?
D- is BG there?
K- yea why?
D- well I have to grab some paper work I left at momma's. I'll be there soon.
K- Bye

As I head that way I can't help but feel nervous. I missed him and I still live him but he can't be forgiven for what he did. He chose Amber over me all those years ago. Even though they called it off I'm still mad.

I pull up and go through the back door and bolt to the office. I grab the stack of papers and as I'm walking out I run into someone. My papers go flying everywhere.

"I'm so sorry, uuh." I say, picking them up.

"Dakota, I'm so sorry. I didn't know what happened until last night, and I was high, but that's not an excuse. I went and saw momma June today. I miss her just like you do, princess only I didn't know." He says. He goes to say more but I cut him off.

"Brantley, stop. I understand and your right it isn't an excuse. I forgive you, only because my momma would want me to. But I gotta go I'm beat and have a double tomorrow at the hospital." I say, walking around him.

Momma Becky comes into the kitchen and sees me walking through. "My baby! What happened? You look so tired! How long did you work today?" She asks and I'm scared to tell her.

"Momma I'm fine. Don't worry. " I say trying not to worry her.

"Tell me how many hours your shift was." She demands.

I pull out my time card. "24 hours. 42 minutes." I mutter, hoping she hears me wrong.

"What the hell? Dakota Rose! You know better! I told you to stop taking those long shifts! Why were you there over your limit?" She demands. I know she's worried but I don't wanna have this talk with BG right here. Oh well.

"Well momma, I had to rush someone to imediately surgery and it took longer because nobody took his vitals for me. Then I rushed to another one, and then did a C-section. Then I did my rounds and checked on my patients, did a couple ER patients and clocked. I'm okay. I would come for Sunday lunch but I'm working myself like a dog to pay these bills." I say, organizing my papers at the table while she scolds me.

"Look I'm exhausted. I'm going home to wash this blood off of me. I know you care, don't worry. I'll call you tomorrow okay ma?" I say, standing up to walk out.

"Okay, ma'am. Take care honey. We love you." She says, BG follows me to my truck.

I go to the back grabbing my folders and putting away the paper work. I realize he is just staring at me. Watching me. Why? Hell if I know but it hurts. I'm in love with him. I want him to hold me after my shifts. I want to tour with him. the stupid things like that.

"Gilbert, I suggest you stop watching me. I'm leaving. And don't bother trying to come over later I will be sleeping until my shift in 6 hours." With that I go to climb in my truck.

"Please. Please baby please! Give me a chance! Look I left that day because I have bigger feelings for you then friends! Dakota I realized I was in love with you when we were at the football game in highschool. You know I came back for you the next day and you were gone. Went to your house and everything. More than miles? That's about you. You don't know her like I do? That's about you too. You remember signing that zeplin shirt years ago? Well I still have the video! I still have to shirt, it sits on top of my dresser. I never stopped caring! I promise. I looked for you. And I asked mom about you. Did you even get my texts? I sent you one everyday until 6 months ago! I left voicemails. Everything! Please! Think about it okay? And I know I messed up. I know I did and Dakota Rose Adamson, I'm so sorry. So so sorry. Please think about forgive me?" He begs. And I'm sobbing into his chest so he wraps his arms around me and holds me.

"BG, you chose Amber over me, and you did an amazing job singing. Your career is taking off. I don't wanna be the reason you stop focusing now. But you hurt me, and you left me the day I was gonna tell you how I felt. I postponed my trip for you! For you BG! And you were leaving me? Never gonna tell me? Look I know your sorry, I got all your texts yesterday, and your forgiven. But I'm still hurt B." He just looks at me and goes to cup my face.

He puts his rough, calloused hands on my face and he starts leaning in. Watching my reaction. When he sees I'm not gonna pull away he crushes our lips together. It cliche, but I felt sparks. He pulled away and smiled.

"Come home with me, outlaw?" And he grabs his keys following me to my house.