Chapter Five

1 WEEK LATER

DARK

"Dad...err...Dark..."

My whole body tenses hearing y/n call me dad then quickly changes her mind and calls me Dark. I put my book down and look down at the small child stood in front of me. she'd slipped up and called Anti daddy a couple of days ago but Anti was fine with it, whereas now she looked terrified at how I would react.

"You can call me dad y/n if you like."

Her whole face lights up and she makes grabbing motions with her hands which was too cute to refuse so I lean down and pick her up, before placing her on my lap.

"What were you doing?"

y/n's voice had gotten a lot better this past week, occasionally it would crack but Dr Schneep gave her something to take which seemed to make her feel better.

"I was reading a book. Do you like books y/n?"

She shrugs her shoulders, "the bad man not lets us have books, say they dumb but mum sneaked some in and took me to shops full of books because she liked books."

At least she wasn't calling that monster dad anymore, the bad man was kind of fitting and it was what Anti and I referred to him as so y/n had picked that up. y/n could obviously read and write but I was shocked that she'd been denied one of my favourite past times.

"You can have as many books as you like little one, books aren't dumb."

"Yay books," she giggles and then proceeds to snuggle against my chest not making any plans to move anytime soon.

I go back to reading, y/n attempting to follow along but the book was probably a bit too advanced for her but bless her for trying. Her and Anti seemed to connect the most, but now I had a way to have her attention just as much as my lover. Yes, we were competing for the attention of a small human.

"Turn on the news Dark, something's happened."

Anti rushes into the room and turns on the TV before I can reach for the remote, he liked to contradict himself.

"Look, dad, that you but really badly drawn you."

y/n points at the screen where a crude Police sketch appears on the right-hand side of the screen which at a second glance could very well pass as me. I turn up the volume as a news reporter appears next to the picture.

"d/n l/n today spoke to Police and was able to give a sketch of the man who broke into his home just last week and brutally stabbed him before kidnapping his innocent baby girl. d/n l/n is about to make a statement outside Police headquarters appealing for any news of his beloved little girl."

I snort, "Don't the Police see that he murdered his wife and then tried to kill his kid? Now he's playing the victim."

"It will be okay Dark, the truth will come out."

Anti sits next to me and rubs my arm while y/n stares transfixed at the screen, if only people could see her scar and lack of eye then they'd know who the real monster was in this situation.

The TV flickers before focusing on a familiar man stood behind a platform bandaged up and looking like a wounded puppy, the bad man dabs his eyes with a tissue though anyone trained in basic human body language could tell it was fake and all for show.

"I know I did a terrible thing, I regret letting drink take over my life, and no amount of words will bring my beloved wife back to me so that I can apologise face to face. But there is still one light in my life, my daughter y/n who was swiftly taken from me by some stranger off the street who entered my home uninvited and tried to murder me in cold blood. I remember her screaming my name and asking me to save her, but all I could do was lie paralyzed in a pool of my own blood watching my little gem get taken from me. If the person who took her is watching this, please don't hurt her and just bring her back to her family who loves and misses her. No more questions."

Fake empathy and sorrow laced his voice, but when the camera panned to the audience some were shedding tears falling for the lies. y/n couldn't scream his name because he'd slit her throat and she was close to death herself. We watch as the Police escort him off the podium and back inside the station.

Anti turns the TV off filling the room with silence. y/n tugs on my shirt bringing my attention down to her.

"Are they going to take me away? You saved me, you are my new family."

y/n was too cute for words. I put my book down on the coffee table before hugging her, "no one's going to take you away y/n. We'll put up a fight won't we Anti?"

"You're our daughter y/n and we'll keep you safe from all the cruelty in the world."

I release y/n and she crawls into Anti's open arms. My face was being plastered all over the news for everyone to see. This was very bad, and no way would mine and Anti's little secret stay well secret for very long.

"How long do you think we have baby boy?"

Anti shrugs his shoulders at my question, but then my phone goes off on the coffee table and Anti's vibrates in his pocket. y/n was going to meet our extended yet dysfunctional family.