Chapter 9 (Ridley)

I storm through the forest in a temper. My patience for Alister wanes. To think that he would be so abusive to himself pisses me off.

I come out into the city that I got the materials from. Memphis, where I was born.

On my first trip, I noticed that many of the shops and cafes that my family loved to visit have now been graffitied or run out of business. I walk along the cobbled sidewalks, searching for my old apartment I had lived with my grandmother in. After a while, I come across a street that seems familiar.

I hesitate for a moment, considering how good an idea it is to interact with my past life. Once a Pyre comes to Similar, they aren't supposed to worry about what happens in Distance. I know it's stupid to disobey the rules, but I remind myself that I'm not a Pyre to serve Lord Mavis. I only play along to aid my attempt to acquire the heirloom.

Which is why I'm following Alister. I can't shake the feeling he has something to do with it.

I return my attention back to the street. It's filled with people carrying bags and walking dogs. One man sits on a bench, his arm outstretched, a hat in his hand. I take out my wallet as I approach him. His eyes settle on me, a tired smile passing onto his face.

"Well aren't you a kind and beautiful young lady?" He has a gentle southern accent. Faint, but still there.

I smile back and set twenty dollars into his hat. He scoots over, and I slide onto the seat beside him. He's young, probably in his twenties. His eyes are husky blue, just like Alister's. In fact, his entire face resembles Alister's.

He pulls out the money, its worn corner crumpled. "Generous, I see." He hands it back to me, but I shake my head.

"You need it more than I do," I tell him. "I have plenty, it would be a waste to not share it."

The man lifts his eyes to mine. "The world needs more people like you." He holds his hand out. "Name's Elijah. I haven't seen those eyes 'round here. Least not in a while. Tell me dear, do you happen to be Gloria's granddaughter?"

I catch my breath. I knew it was a bad idea to come back here, but I still did, and now I've been recognized.

"How'd you know?" I say slowly.

"Not a lot of people have Alexandria's Genesis. A beautiful mutation, that is."

I look away quickly. I had been so careless as to not cover my eyes. My violet eyes.

"Don't worry, dear. I know you didn't want to leave. Mavis doesn't let many people go free, now does she?"

My head snaps back to him. "How do you know Lord Mavis?" I whisper.

He chuckles and pulls the collar of his shirt down far enough for me to see an Ace branding below his right collarbone, a five pronged crown no larger than a half dollar. "I've spent my time in Similar. Not much gets past me, y'know. I know you're here with the Bane. That King is with you two, right? Barrick, isn't it?"

I don't answer. My mind is too cluttered with questions.

Elijah places his hand on my shoulder. He leans in close, and whispers into my ear, "I know where you can get help. You can trust me."

He slides a folded piece of paper into my hand. "Don't you open that. That's for the Bane. Only he can understand it, so don't think you can get away with trying to make any sense of it.

"Why are you helping me?" I blurt out. "If you know we're here, then you must know we betrayed the Order."

"Not every Pyre gets a thrill when they end a life. The Bane knows that more than anyone."