Chapter 1 (Alister)

Thunk.

I look up from my book to see a cup of coffee on my desk.

"A 'thank you' would be nice," Barrick chimes.

"I don't drink coffee," I reply.

"You're welcome," he mumbles. "Put the book down and be social."

I glance up again, casting a questioning gaze toward him.

He sets down his latte, expression serious. "Alister. You'll never get a lady if you don't smile. I understand you don't like to communicate, but at least come with me tonight."

I slide my bookmark onto the page and close my book. "Where are you going?"

Barrick looks around before whispering, "I'm going to Stephanie's party."

"Why did you have to whisper that?" I ask.

"I can't let people know that I'm going. It's for that thing I told you about."

I stare at him. "Are you talking about that organization you're a part of? What was it called, the Order?"

An alarmed look crosses his face. "Don't say it in public. I've told you about that," he whispers.

"Right. You're not supposed to tell anyone about this made up crap," I tell him.

"It's not made up. You have to believe me."

Just then the bell rings, sending us off for the day.

We grab our books and file out of the classroom. At my locker, Barrick passes me a folded piece of paper.

"This is Stephanie's address. Meet me there at nine tonight. No bailing." He sets his biology textbook on the shelf in my locker and runs off. "Don't be late!" He hollers back before turning the corner.

He's obviously forgotten that Stephanie is my sister.

I'm about to close my locker as a hand reaches in. It pulls all my books out and drops them on the floor.

I sigh. "Hello, Chase. Always a pleasure seeing you around."

"Don't give me that shit," he says as he shoves me back. "I couldn't help but overhear that you were going to my babe's party tonight. Was that part of our deal?"

I lean down and pick up my binder. "Our deal was that I don't intervene with your girlfriend and you don't mess with me."

He kicks my pencil case across the hall. "If you know the deal so well then why are you not following it?"

I stare as people kick my pencils farther and farther down the hall on their way to the busses. Not a single student gives it a second thought to help. They know if they interfere, they'll only be targeted too.

"It may not have crossed your mind, but I live there. I can't exactly hold my end, and it's not like you're keeping yours, either."

He plants a fist on my temple. My head slams into the lockers, denting the metal. This is the time when people start to do something about us. Most stand a good distance away and record on their phones. Others will cheer Chase on. Then you have the ones who want nothing to do with the situation and will push through the crowd to continue on their way.

"Fight back this time, coward. You want to be loved so bad, give people something to love about you, besides that pretty little face of yours."