Chapter 8 (Alister)

"Wait," Ridley interrupts, shocked. "You found out about Lord's intentions just by Kindling?"

I nod. "Is that not normal?" 

"Well, no one else ever knew about it."

"No one else? Or just you never knew?"

She furrows her brows. "It was never brought up, so... I guess you have a point. But tell me, what use would Lord get out of enslaving you into her dirty work? It's not like she could control you, right?"

I think about this for a moment. "Her purpose may be to control the weak, but mine is to eradicate abuse of power. We may be meant to guide our Pyres together, but the nature of our beings clash. There's only one Bane. There have been hundreds of Lords. Mavis took advantage of her being the one to rule during my lifetime, and she's not going to let me serve my purpose of ending the reign of Lords. She has to find a way to stop me in order for her to stay in power." I look Ridley in the eyes. "Even if killing me is what it takes."

Ridley's expression hardens. Her eyes shift to the ground, avoiding mine. I watch her for a moment, then drop my eyes to Barrick, who is slowly gaining strength again. His eyes are slightly open, just enough for me to see his jade eyes, though they are currently dull. Lifeless. 

I hold his hand, continuously transferring my energy to him. Though I have more energy available than any other Pyre, I do not have infinite. I'll have to save some for myself, but for now, Barrick needs it more.

The wolf, now comfortable with Ridley and Barrick, stretches her nose out to nudge my arm. I place my hand on her head and scratch behind her ear. Her fur is silky and soft.

A smile forms on Ridley's lips. She watches the wolf with interest, then looks to me. "Is she an old friend?"

"No, although it feels like I've seen her before," I admit.

"But you don't remember." Her smile fades almost as fast as it appeared. She gives me a pitying look.

"No, I don't remember," I repeat. "I don't remember anything. It's like I'm seeing the world for the first time again." I turn over Barrick's hand. "For some reason the only thing I remember is Barrick. Everything else is just a blur. Even my home is fuzzy. I know I had one, but I can't recall what it looked like, or even where it was."

Ridley puts her hand on my shoulder. "We'll figure something out. You'll get your memories back. There has to be a way." Her hand lingers for an instance longer, then she removes it, setting it back into her lap. 

"Anyway... you were telling me what your plan was. Continue," she says.

"Right. To put it simply, I have to... Actually, there really isn't a simple, or easy, way to explain it," I lie. It couldn't be easier to explain, but I don't have the strength to tell her. I think carefully about my next words. "It'll be easier for me to just go along with it on my own. You would be safer if you stayed behind." That is the truth.

She shakes her head. "I'll have to disagree with you. You'll be safer if I come with."

I give her a firm look. "You don't even know what I have to deal with. The last place you'll be safe is with me."

"What are you doing that is so dangerous? Why do you have to get rid of me, and not Barrick?" she prods.

"Barrick is a different story. He's not even capable of standing up. I have to keep him with me so I can lend him my energy. When he recovers, he's going home."

"Barrick has no home," Ridley blurts.

I stare at her. "How do you know that?"

She stares back, her gaze intense. "If he did, he would have left the Order long ago. He never told anyone, but we all knew."