Chapter Four

The cold air nips at my skin as I walk into the theatre, closing the door behind me. I smile at our doorman, waving happily.

"Hey Rosie!" Leila calls me into the green room as I pass by. Some other cast members are there, so I, of course, stop to chat.

"Hey y'all!" I smile, dropping my bag and sitting beside Leila. "Christ, it's freezing out!"

"Hey, do you wanna go get some food between shows today?" Leila asks. "So far it's me, Jason, and Alexa that have said yes. Oh! We could go on a double date!"

I bite the inside of my cheek. I've never been good at lying.

"Well, I, um, I kinda already have plans."

"You have plans? What kinda plans could you have?" Leila asks.

"Well, I'm getting lunch with my friend-"

"What friend? Who friend? Is it a boy or a girl? Oh! Oh! Oh! Is it Ben?!"

"Leila, stop." I roll my eyes. "I have friends outside of the people in this show, okay?"

"You didn't deny it being Ben! Is it him? Is it? Is it?!"

"Um, who's Ben?" Alexa asks as she glances around.

"Ben Cook, from Ragtime and Billy Elliot. He's in the Newsies tour now- they're still rehearsing- and now Ben and Lina are in love!"

"We're not in love. We're friends." I respond. "And fine, yes, I'm getting lunch with Ben, but that's it."

"Lunch! The introduction to the world of marriage!" Jason exclaims.

I stand abruptly. "I'm leaving!"

The three of them shout in disapproval as I giggle and jog towards my dressing room. I begin my pin curls in preparation for my wig, my mind wandering in a million different directions.

Ben. Oh, Ben.

We kissed.

We kissed!

And I didn't pull away, I kissed back! I found myself wanting to kiss Ben over and over after that, but I had to keep dancing as if nothing happened.

What is Ben thinking? Does he regret the kiss? Does he think it's too early? Should we be friends first?

The show goes by in a flash. I rush through just so I can get to Ben, as silly as it sounds.

Once the show is over, I change and stage door as fast as possible so I can meet Ben at the café we had chosen.

We arrive at around the same time and find a table. The waiter comes around and we order, I only get a salad as to not eat too much before a show.

"How was your show?" Ben asks once we've handed the menus back and the waiter leaves the table.

"It was good. I think the crowd was a little dead so the energy wasn't up to par. But hopefully the second show will be better." I explain, shrugging. "You had off today?"

"Yeah, they didn't need me." Ben says. "Sometimes it's nice to just have a day off to breathe. And then of course, get to see you on my day's off."

My cheeks turn pink as I involuntarily bite my lip, smiling. Ben obviously notices my change in appearance and smiles back.

"So what time do you have to get back?"

"I think I have to be back within two or three hours, so we have a little bit of time." I respond.

"Do you ever get nervous before you go on? That's such a random question, but I'm curious."

"Why? Do I seem like someone who would be nervous?" I smirk teasingly. "It depends on the show. Like, if I know my family is in the audience then I'll be terrified. If you came to see the show, I'd be nervous."

"You'd be nervous because of me?"

"Of course I would!"

"Why?"

"Who wouldn't want to impress the cute guy who they've kissed a few times?"

Ben rolls his eyes, slumping back in his seat and smirking. "Oh, now we're bringing the kiss into the conversation?"

"Of course I am." I giggle. "We haven't talked about it yet."

"And what's there to talk about?" Ben wonders, leaning forward again and crosses his hand over the table. "I kissed you, and you kissed me back."

"Well, yeah." I mumble, suddenly getting a bit shy. "But I don't want false hope."

"False hope? What does that mean?"

"I don't want to fall for you, and have you not interested in me or-"

"Who said I'm not interested in you?" Ben asks. He swiftly swings around and sits beside me. Ben reaches over and grabs my hand from where it rests on my lap, intertwining out fingers. "Hmm? Where'd you hear that?"

"I-I-"

Before I can even finish, Ben cuts me off with a kiss. I smile, my eyelids fluttering closed.

"Does that make you feel better?" Ben smirks.

I nod, unable to drop my smile. "It does."