Chapter Thirty: Roller-Skates

Lillian woke up to hearing something crash and crying. She picks her head up, rubbing her eyes as she got out of bed.

"Mitch?" She said as she left her room, she went to the couch seeing that Mitch isn't in there but is in the corner, his phone is on the floor with a crack in the screen. "Mitch!" She goes over beside him, her arms go around him, pulling him closer to her. Mitch opened his eyes, his face blushing as she pulled his head against her chest. Mitch closes his eyes, trying to stop crying but can't. Lillian picks up his phone, looking at the crack in the screen. She tries to turn it on but it won't.

"Broken." She said softly. She looks down at Mitch, she hugs him tight and stays there, not saying anything at all, but just holding him till he eventually stopped crying. Mitch moved his head on her shoulder, feeling uncomfortable with where she moved him before. Lillian looks around, spotting a clock. '6:45 a.m.. His fever is gone, maybe I should take him someplace, do something to bring back his smile.' She thought. She looks down at him.

"Hey, I have two classes today, but do you want to come with me and once I am done, maybe we can go....roller-skating and maybe some lunch?" She asks him. Mitch picks up his head, he looks at her and than away. He wipes his face from the tears.

"I'm not good at that." Mitch said. Lillian smiles at him.

"I'll teach you, come on, it will fun." She said. He looks at her, wanting to return her smile but can't bring himself to.

"I-I guess, but I don't have my wallet." He said.

"It's alright, I don't mind paying at all, Mitch." Lillian said. She lowers her arms from around him. Mitch looks at her for a few moments.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm okay with paying. I just thought maybe you'll like to get outside for a while." She said. Mitch smiles a little at her, she smiles back at him. 'Even though it is little, its something.' She thought. She gets up to her feet. Mitch looks up at her.

"W-What University do you go to?" Mitch asks.

"Lynn University." Lillian said. Mitch stood up with Lillian's help. Mitch hides his bandaged wrist from her, but she saw a glimpse of it and acts like she never saw it. "Well we both need to get dressed and stuff. Come on." She grabs his hand and pulls on it.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

"You almost got it." Lillian said to Mitch. Mitch hangs onto the railing as Lillian holds her arms up towards him. Mitch looks at her and than at the skates.

"How do you do this again?" Mitch asks.

"It is all about balance. Come on, give my your hands." Lillian said. Mitch looks at her, they are at the roller skating rink, it is pretty busy but not full. Mitch takes her hand, wobbling slightly. He takes her other hand and she leans backwards, gripping his hands as they skate near the railing with the crowd. Lillian smiles. "It's not that hard once you get the hang of it." Lillian suddenly lets go of Mitch's hands and moments later he falls over.

"Nghh!" Mitch yelped once he hit the ground. Lillian covers her mouth so she doesn't laugh. Mitch sits up, he looks at her. Lillian lets out a small laugh, Mitch smiles a little. Lillian than trips backwards and falls on her ass. Mitch laughs. Lillian looks at him and smiles. She gets up, going over to him and crouching down.

"Come on." Lillian said offering her hand to him. Mitch takes it and they both get up. Lillian grabs his hand and pulls him behind her, almost making him fall again but he regains his balance. He looks at her, he smiles seeing her smiling. But he soon loses it, remembering why he is even here. 'This isn't gonna last, so why is this even worth my energy? She will soon get sick of me and leave me. I don't want her to go, she makes me happy. Jerome...Jerome scares me. I want to be happy...Why is that so hard for me to feel?' He thought. His eyes water. His hand slips out of her grasp and he stares at the floor. Lillian looks behind her, and at him. She loses her smile when she sees a tear go down his cheek, she goes back over to him.

"Hey Mitch..." She said softly. She puts her hand on his cheek, wiping the tear away, Mitch looks at her. "Come on, lets get something to eat. I'm hungry." She takes his hand into hers and pulls him behind her towards the exit. Mitch looks at her. 'I feel like I'm only moving around because she is pulling my hand to.' He thought.