Chapter Fourteen: When Fear Takes Over

Warning: um.....I'm so sorry...I almost cried while writing this, no joke, was almost there

Mitch's eyes widen when he heard Jerome on the phone, making him start to tremble in fear.

'No. No. Jerome..he's gonna be so mad at me. I..I don't want him to hit me.' Mitch thought. Mitch gets up and looks through the cupboards and finds a pill bottle. He grabs it and opens it up. He pours the entire contents of the bottle into his hand. He drops the bottle, staring at the pills. Lachlan finally gets the door open and stops, his eyes widing when he looks at Mitch's hand. Mitch takes a step back from him fearful.

"M-Mitch, drop them." Lachlan said. Mitch shakes his head.

"N-No." Mitch said.

"Mitch, I know you're depressed. But please, drop the pills and come into the living room. We can do whatever you want. Play a game, watch movie, anything. Just please, put them down." Lachlan said. Mitch looks at his hand and than at Lachlan, almost considering it. "Jerome--" Mitch's eyes widen and he backs up into a wall with fear in his eyes.

"Don't let him touch me, Lachlan! Please! He'll beat me up for this! Please. I can't take being hit anymore, I just can't!" Mitch shouted before he starts sobbing. Mitch falls to the wall, sitting up against the wall. Lachlan takes slow steps towards Mitch. Mitch looks at his hand. "He'll h-hurt me like she did. Jerome will. I know he will. I made him mad, did something he told me not too." Lachlan shakes his head.

"No. No. Mitch, Jerome--"

"I wanna die, Lachlan. Please, no one will miss me, no one. I just want the pain to stop, forever. I want to stop loving her. I want my heart to stop being stomped on when it's already in pieces, unfixable. I want to stop being a burden on everyone. I want to love someone who won't use me like she did, who won't hurt me everyday like she did, but someone who will actually love me back. I want....I can't stop hurting, Lachlan...I can't take it anymore....I can't....unless I...unless I put myself to sleep." Mitch said. Lachlan shakes his head. Mitch lifts his hand up to his mouth. Lachlan's eyes widen.

"DON'T!" Lachlan screamed as Mitch put the pills into his mouth. Lachlan jumps at Mitch, grabbing his chin. "Spit them out! Spit them out now!" Mitch struggled to swallow, but he got them all down. Mitch starts hyperventilate and puts his arms around his stomach and cry. Lachlan pulls out his phone. Mitch grabs it. "Give it!" Mitch gets up, running out of the bathroom and Lachlan follows.

"LET ME DIE LACHLAN! JUST LET ME DIE, I WANNA DIE! I WANNA BE DEAD! I WANNA LEAVE THIS EFFING CRUEL WORLD FOREVER!" Mitch screams. Mitch groans, feeling dizzy as his vision blurs. Lachlan sees Mitch stumble and collapse limp onto the floor. He runs over to him.

"Oh god no! Mitch!" He said. He grabs his phone out if Mitch's hand and dials 911. Mitch pushes against the ground, trying to grab Lachlan's phone and failing. He sees Jerome walk into the room. Mitch gasps and starts to crawl away, trembling. Lachlan gets off the phone. "No. Mitch, you need to stay still!"

"What happened?" Jerome asks.

"He swallowed about half a pain pill bottle." Lachlan said. Jerome snaps his attention to Lachlan. He grabs Lachlan and yanks him to his feet.

"And you let him?!" Jerome yelled. Mitch flinches. He starts going towards the stairs, hearing Jerome yell at Lachlan behind him. Mitch reaches us and grabs the railing. Mitch coughs a few times, struggling to breathe.

"NO MITCH!" Jerome screamed. Mitch flinches and yelps in fear, going down to the floor instantly. Jerome grabs Mitch. "You'll get yourself hurt." Mitch hears the sirens and he turns to Lachlan.

"WHAT THE F*CK IS WRONG WITH YOU?! I WANNA DIE AND YOU CAN'T EVEN DO THAT RIGHT?!" Mitch screams making Lachlan back up. "Why can't you just let me die already?!" Jerome grabs Mitch.

"Mitch, calm down. You need to calm down." Jerome said. Mitch flinches and hyperventilates more. Lachlan gets up and pulls Mitch out of his grip.

"You are freaking him out!" Lachlan said. Mitch coughs and than passes out. Jerome catches him.

"No. No! Please, Mitch. Don't die on me, Benja! Hang in there, help is coming." Jerome said panicking. He picks Mitch up and the both go downstairs. Lachlan opens the front door as an ambulance pulls up. Jerome runs out.

"When did he pass out?" A paramedic asks running to them.

"Just now." Jerome said. A paramedic takes Mitch and runs back to the ambulance. Jerome and Lachlan run into the car and quickly follow the ambulance. Lachlan pulls Mitch's phone out of his pocket.

"I'm telling his parents." Lachlan said. He hits Mitch's mom's contact and puts the phone on his ear.

"Hey Mit--"

"I'm not Mitch. It's me Lachlan." Lachlan said.

"Oh, hey Lachlan. Where is he?" Mitch's mother asks.

"In an ambulance heading to the ER because he swallowed over half a pain pill bottle." Lachlan said. Lachlan expects an answer but instead gets nothing. "She hung up on me." He looks at Jerome. He notices Jerome's knuckles are turning white. "Jerome, relax. Relax. He is going to be okay."

"What happened? I thought you had it under control?!" Jerome asks. Lachlan looks away.

"I almost had him convinced. But once I mentioned you, he was afraid you were gonna beat him." Lachlan said. Jerome looks at Lachlan for a few moments and than back at the road.

"No, that's ridiculous--" Lachlan looks at Jerome.

"Jerome! Jessica abused him whenever he did something wrong or something she didn't like. He did this out of pure fear, he was afraid of you and what you would do! Because he did something wrong, and he thought you were gonna replace Jessica and hit him. That's why he tried to kill himself. Because he let fear take over his reason." Lachlan said. Jerome's eyes soften and he shakes his head.

"Well maybe if you kept a better eye on him, he wouldn't be at death's door!" Jerome shouted. Lachlan balls his fists.

"What do you want me to do? Go into the bathroom with him when he showers or pees?! No! It was because of how you reacted that we are in this mess." Lachlan shouted back. Jerome flinches and feels his eyes welt up as they pull into the hospital. A car comes storming in as well. Mitch's mom comes running out of the passenger side and runs up the steps as they pull Mitch out of the ambulance with an oxygen mask and an IV already hooked up to a waterbag. She runs beside him and grabs his hand.

"Mitchell!" She cried.

"His pulse is dropping."

Mitch moves his fingers slightly, managing to open his eyes slightly, seeing the white ceiling moving and hearing various voices. He feels a warm hand squeeze his.

"I'm right here, baby. I'm right here." A familiar voice said.

"Got a first respond." A voice said after a light flashes into his eyes. Mitch takes in a few deep breathes before his consciousness starts to go yet again.