Chapter 25

Sage  

Chapter 25

“I hope these people really know what they’re doing,” Mr. Utt says as we pull into the parking lot of the small waffle house.  The Visionaries suburban isn’t here yet so Mr. Utt gets us a large table in the back where we’ll be able to talk in private, even though they aren’t more than three people here. 

Everybody is feeling kind of anxious, so we sit in silence, either examining the menu or staring absentmindedly at the surroundings.  Marisol’s doing neither, being conked out since it must be way past her bedtime; her head is lying against her mother’s arm.  They’re serving all you can eat waffles but it doesn’t look like anybody has much of an appetite.  I stare down at the menu and pick apart the straw wrapper to pass the time. 

I am halfway down the wrapper when the door opens and in comes the Ghostbusters, Calista leading the pack.

“How ya’ll doing?” Calista inquires.

“Even better now that you’re here,” Mr. Utt says.

We all shake hands and exchange cordialities.

“Enough small talk, time to get down to business,” Calista says after we’ve ordered.  “Now the game plan is that when we arrive at the house we are going to be using the buddy system.  Under all circumstances you three are to stick to me, especially you.”  She points to Marimar.  “Now first I am going to create a protection circle and call on God and the Goddess to assist us and protect us, which Al and Adel will be joining us for.  It’s our protocol.  After that we’ll start by smudging, which is simple enough.  Gunner and Lawson will be assisting me while Al and Adel will be in the van watching the footage on the monitors.  The smudging should calm George down a bit and that’s when I’ll channel him.”

“Channel?” Mrs. Utt asks.

“It means I’ll be allowing him to speak through me.  Now don’t worry, this isn’t my first rodeo.  George will be simply borrowing my body.  I will be in control at all times.  At that time I want you, Marimar, to tell him to go the light.  Tell him in the light he will feel no pain and that he’ll be happy, that God does not judge you but you judge yourself so all he needs to do is forgive himself.  After that we’ll recite some prayers and send him off to the great beyond with a crossing over ceremony, easy enough.  Any questions?”

“I’ve got one, what if George doesn’t want to go?”  Marimar asks.

“You have to firmly tell him that you want him to go.  But remember, he was once a living person too, so you have to be respectful about it.  ‘Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.’  Once you tell him, he will have no choice but to leave.  The power to make him go is the combination of the prayers and the crossing over ceremony.”

 “I want you all to remember that nothing will happen to you.  Negative energies feed off of fear.  You have to keep your emotions in check.  The more you give off the stronger he will be, but he cannot kill you.  Keep that in mind.  God needs you alive not dead,” Calista says, leaning in close to us.  To wrap up our meeting Calista and the gang tell us some personal experiences that happened in similar cases, before we say our good-byes and we head back to the motel. 

We are almost there.  I suck in my breath in anticipation.  My heart is pounding and my muscles are tightening as we are nearing the corner that will take us to their house of horrors.  The waffles I ate at dinner a few hours ago threaten to make reappearance.  Thank God he stopped at a gas station in town.  I think we all have nervous stomachs.  I knew I shouldn’t have had that third plate, that’s what happens when they offer all you can eat waffles.