Chapter 20

Marimar

Chapter 20

Holly shit!  How did I not think of that?  How could I be so clueless?

“Your little sister makes a new invisible friend and it never crosses your mind that he’s your bushwhacker?”  We seem to be on the same page.

“She’s had an imaginary friend since before we moved here.  It just never occurred to me that George was more than imaginary.”  That means she was telling the truth!  It was George who had pushed me off the couch.  Poor Sunshine, I never believed her.  Poor me; all of a sudden I’m wishing it was her who had pushed me.

“I’m not crazy,” I laugh.  A wave of relief washes over me.  Oh, I’m dead.  The thought makes me laugh a little too wildly.  Tears are streaming down my face.  I’m going to die, I whimper inwardly, more tears are flowing.  Now I’m both laughing and crying hysterically.

“You could’ve fooled me,” Sage jokes before pensively pacing back and forth.  Even he thinks that I’m marked for death.  “Hold on a second, if the ghost is after you then why did it make friends with Marisol?”  His question brings me up short, snapping me back to reality.  The tears stop streaming down my face and I stop laughing.

Why is he friends with her?  If he wants her then why does he want me?  What does he want her for, to drive me nuts?  Why hasn’t he ever done her any harm?  Why me?  How could I be so conceited?  While I was having my “pity party” I hadn’t even considered the danger Marisol is in.  Sage had to point it out to me.  I’m pathetic.  She’s my flesh and blood.

“I don’t know,” I gasp, “but it can’t be for something good.”

I hear Mama’s footsteps in the hall and my Sunshine’s light footsteps trailing from behind.  I quickly wipe my tears away with the back of my hand and I compose myself.  We both sit down quickly and we pretend that we are talking about something.

“I hope you like lasagna,” Mama says as she comes over towards us.  Sage stands up in respect.  She hands him a large container full of food.  “I’m going to need that container back.”

“All right, ma’am.  Thank you so much.”

“I hope your parents don’t mind you being late.”

“Oh, I don’t think that they’ll mind seeing as I brought supper home.”

“Good, good.”

“Oh, um, thank you again, ma’am,” Sage says with a nod. “Mar, Marisol.”

“I’ll walk you out,” I say.  Mama and Marisol don’t follow.

“Thanks for the help, Sage.  I really appreciate it.”

“No problem.  I’m just sorry that we couldn’t find anything more useful.  Call me if something happens, all right?  I’ll be over to help.”

“Will do.”

“Good luck.”  He reaches down and brushes my cheek with his lips as he rushes to escape.  I close the door before he turns back, in fear that he’ll notice me blushing.  I lock the door and before I can head up to my room, Mama stops me in my tracks.

“He kissed you,” Mama exclaims ecstatically.  Nothing gets by Mama.

“Eww,” Marisol says, wrinkling up her nose in disgust.

“It was only on the cheek.”

“Still, it won’t be long now until you get a real kiss.”

“Yeah, okay Mama.”