Chapter 17

Marimar  

Chapter 17

My premonition is proven true.  Even stranger things are beginning to happen and I’m not the only one noticing.  Finally, I am the only one in this family that believes it’s the work of Casper.  I haven’t mentioned him since I’ve come back from the hospital out of fear that my next “new outfit” will look like Hannibal Lecter’s.

Things are starting to be moved out of there places frequently.  I hear the sounds of footsteps in the hallway every night.  In the attic I hear things moving around.  I don’t dare go back up there out of fear for my life.  It’s been a whole week since the day I landed in the hospital.  My concussion has healed but my pinky finger will take three to five more weeks until it goes back to normal.

“Where did I put the damn keys?” Papa growls in frustration.  We all have been looking for them for ten minutes.  He’s gone from annoyed to enraged as he swears he left them on the hook next to the door where he hangs them every time he walks in the front door.  All of us have been searching high and low.  Everywhere except for the cellar and the attic.  Mama is in her room checking in all of his pants pockets.  The last time I saw Marisol she was checking the couch cushions; I am currently searching under the chairs in the great room.

“I found it,” Marisol yells from somewhere in the front room.  We all make our way to the front of the house.  The first thing I see when walking towards the front door is Marisol jumping up and down pointing at the key holder.  Low and behold they are right where they belong.  Papa walks over and snatches it from the holder.

“Where did you find it?” he asks looking down at Marisol.

“Wight thewe.”  She points to the holder.

“It couldn’t have been right there, that’s the first place we all looked,” Mama says.

“Somebody must have put it back and it couldn’t have been Marisol because she can’t reach it,” Mama states.

They all turn to look at me, even Marisol; traitor.

“What, I didn’t do it,” I say flustered by their accusations.

“Then who did?” Papa asks; his arms crossed in front of his chest.

“I don’t know, but it wasn’t me,” I huff.  “You probably didn’t look well.  That wouldn’t be out of character.”

“It wasn’t there before, and your father doesn’t have time to argue.  He’s already late as it is,” Mama says taking Papa’s side.  She gives Papa a quick kiss and he hurries out the door.  “Whoever did that should know better than to make Papa late for work,” Mama says.  Why doesn’t she come out and say it instead of beating around the bush?  She’s already implying that it was me.  Mama turns on her heels and leaves, leaving me no time to respond further.  I watch her ascend the stairs; all the while glaring at her back.

“Want to play?” Marisol asks, tugging on the sleeve of my sweater.

“Not now!” I snap.  I turn to look at her.  I can see the hurt in her eyes, the tears welling up in them.  Damn it.  I upset Marisol.

“I’m sorry, I’m not mad at you.  Please don’t cry,” I plead, hugging her to my side as I stroke her hair.  “I’ll play later, okay?” I say trying to coax her.

“I fowgive you,” she says blinking away the tears.  A smile spreads across her face.  She hugs me back and then skips away carefree.  It’s shocking how she just bounces back.