Chapter 7

Marimar

Chapter 7  

Getting into the truck, I am extremely nervous, but determined not to show it.  I don’t want to tip Sage off that this is my first date and that I am completely naive regarding the world of dating, except for what I’ve read in books.  My pulse is racing to the point that all I can hear is my heart pounding a hundred miles an hour.  I’m afraid he’ll actually hear it.  My palms are sweating like crazy.  It’s like I’m having an adrenaline rush or something.  I’m getting butterflies in my stomach, my bladder is suddenly full, and my stomach feels like it’s doing flips. 

No, no, no; you will not get sick!  What is wrong with me?  He’s only a guy for goodness sakes!  Pull yourself together, you’re pathetic!  Okay, stay focused.  Try to keep your mind on something else.

“Whew, sorry about all that.  My Papa’s ... very …,”  I can’t find the right words, “protective when it comes to us girls.  I hope he didn’t threaten you too much.  He isn’t really that bad; I think it’s some kind of routine act.  It keeps his spirit rejuvenated.  He seems to act worse the older he gets.  Really, if he gets to know you, I bet you he would like you.”  I hope he believes me.  Papa is only seeing if he’s worthy of me — in his own demented way. 

“That’s all right; I bet he is a really nice guy behind that front.  Besides, I’d probably do the same if I had a daughter as pretty as you.”  Even though Sage is totally lying to me about Papa, his compliment makes my cheeks burn regardless.

“Hmm, you’re a bad liar,” I say while laughing.  “‘That’s all right, I bet he is a really nice guy …,’” I mimic. 

 “I don’t sound like that,” Sage says chuckling. 

I roll my eyes at him.  “Do I look stupid to you?  Papa can be the most intimidating man.  I have eyes you know.  Do you really expect me to believe that you have no harsh feelings towards him?  What am I, a dumb blonde?” I say as I sit up in my chair, putting my hands on my hips.  It irritates me how he thinks that he can pull the wool over my eyes.  Huh, strange.  I’m not feeling nervous anymore.  I guess irritation has cured me.

“No, but I wasn’t gonna up and say that,” he says amused.  Turning to look at me I see the corners of his mouth pulling up.  His answer automatically puts a smile on my face.  I sit back into my seat, getting more comfortable.

“Now I know what color your eyes turn when you’re lying, brown.  Just like the crap you tried to sell me.”

“Wait, my eyes change color?”

“They change depending on your mood, like right now when you tried to sell me that story, your eyes turned from green to brown, just like that.”  I snap my fingers for emphasis.  “Your eyes are like a mood ring.”  You can think about that the next time you try to lie to me.  Immediately, his eyes lighten to a softer brown.  I wonder what that color means?

“So, have you seen this movie series before?”

“Of course not, it’s a total chick flick.  I just figured you would like it.  I would have thought a vampire movie would be all action, not romance.”

“That’s not what I meant.  I just thought that you might have taken some other girls to see the other movies.”

“Nope, I mean I’ve taken other girls to the movies, but not to the vampire series.”

“I wonder how many other girls he has taken out,” I mutter to myself under my breath, unconsciously.

“So, you never did say if this was a date or not.”