Chapter 6

Sage  

Chapter 6

Crap!!!   I didn’t plan on this.  Most girls’ dads aren’t so protective, but then again, most girls aren’t a perfect dime.  I think I drooled a little when I saw her in that clingy white/grey flower printed summer dress.  It showed off her every curve.…

“So,” he says, “what movie are you planning to see?”  Her old man’s eyeing me as if I’m some kind of low life not to be trusted.  He must have met my parents.

“We were going to check out that new vampire movie, chicks —”

“Let me stop you right there.  First of all, my daughter isn’t a chick she’s a lady.  Now continue.”

“Girls, love that kinda stuff.”  I try to keep eye contact, but it’s kinda hard to do since my eyes keep wandering towards the gun he’s cleaning.  He seems like he would love to blow a hole into me the way he’s stroking that gun with the oilcloth, shining it up.  Something he has in common with my stepdad; wouldn’t he just love to beat me to death next time.  Sometimes I think he might.

“Hmm,” he says taking in what I said, clearly trying to intimidate me.  It’s working pretty well I might add, but I’m not just about to let him know that — that’s not my nature.

“What’s the movie rated?”

“It’s PG 13 sir.  I checked.  It’s supposed to be pretty clean.”  Keep your voice steady, Sage.  You don’t want him thinking he’s got the upper hand.

“Well,” he says, shifting his weight in his chair so he can lean in closer to me, “I have some ground rules....”  Surprise, surprise.

Rule number one:

“No lying.  If you are not where you say you are going to be when you say you’ll be there, you can consider your relationship with my daughter terminated.”

Rule number two:

“When you pick up my daughter, well … just do as you did today.  Otherwise you will never be allowed to date my daughter.  That means you will get out of the car and you will walk politely towards the door and knock or ring the doorbell in the same fashion.  If you don’t, you and I will be having a date.”

Rule number three:

“When you approach my daughter you will merely shake her hand and then you will give her, her space.  When you are leaving, exiting, or walking anywhere your skin should have no contact with my daughter; except if you are just harmlessly going to hold her hand.  I hope that you are smart enough to know not to place your hands anywhere else.”  He talks with his hands a lot.  The disassembled gun barrel bounces up and down still facing me, then facing away, and then towards me again.  I feel like opening my mouth and asking him to point that thing away from me — even though it’s not assembled it is not a comfortable feeling — but I bite my tongue and decide against it.

Rule number four:

“You will wear your clothing as you are now.  If your pants or shirt seems to accidentally come off during the course of your date.  You will find that you will be wearing a prison jump suit after a long stay in the hospital, if I find you before the police.”

Rule number five:

“You’re a good looking kid, which is probably why my daughter decided to go out with you.  But get this, I know my daughter is what you boys call a looker and she can drop you like a sack of potatoes at any moment.  So word of advice, you better not be checking out any other girls.  If you’re one of those “Playas” and string her along and you make her cry then I’m gonna want to make you cry.”