29-Xavier's POV

I look at Braelyn then walk over to the door. "Please, just leave, Braelyn." It hurt too much to look at her wounded expression, so I forced my eyes to the ground.

"Gladly," she snaps then walks out. I look at her then, but I see that she stopped and turned to face me. "I may not be dofferent from other girls, but you're not different from other guys either. You all sure know how to hurt a girl."

I flinch, and Braelyn walks away. Swallowing the large lump that has grown in my throat, I shut the door, and that's when the angry tears come. I lean against the wall and slide to the floor, placing my face into my hands.

Replaying everything that just happened, I just cry. How could you be so stupid? You officially lost her, idiot! She's not coming back.

After what seems like forever, I stand up and walk over to my stuff, pulling my sketchbook back out. I needed to escape. I flip to a new page and angrily begin to sketch. My hand flies around the page, furiously sketching lines.

Then, there's a knock at the door. I look up, and Ridge's face is in the window. He raises his eyebrows, and I walk over to the door, wiping my face. I open the door. "What?" I ask.

Ridge steps past me, entering the room. "Just wondering what you're doing," he says.

"Drawing. Now leave," I answer, watching him and wondering how Braelyn could love him. You can tell he's a jerk by the way he carries himself. He has this attitude about him that you only find in the preppy kids at the school. Braelyn dated someone just like him, and he broke her. So, why would she date someone just like the one who ruined her?

"Are all of these Braelyn?" Ridge asks, snapping me from my thoughts. He stands over my sketchbook, flipping through the pages. I run over there, slamming the book shut.

"You need to leave," I growl.

Ridge narrows his eyes, studying me. "Why do you hate me so much?" he asks.

"Because you're playing Braelyn," I reply, shoving my book into my bag and meeting his gaze again.

Something flickers in his eyes before he replies, "I'm not playing her. I love her."

I laugh, "Oh, c'mon, Ridge. I know guys like you. The popular ones who think they can date a girl then break her heart without suffering any consequences. You think you're God's given gift to women, but you're not. You are not going to hurt Brael-"

"But you can? I heard you two yelling from the library, but by the time I came, Braelyn was gone," Ridge says.

I force my eyes to the ground, clenching my fists. "I didn't mean to," I reply.

"It sure sounded like you did," he replies. Ridge pulls my notebook from my bag. "I know you love her, Xavier, and she knows it, too. But you can't help who you love, and who you don't. Don't make her pay for not loving you. She doesn't deserve it."

He drops the sketchbook onto the table and walks out of the room without another word. Once he leaves, I slam my fist against the wall. I hear my whole hand break with three crackles before I feel it.

Stars dot my vision, and I almost black out. I bite my lip, trying not to cry out, and for a moment, the emotional pain is gone. When I open my eyes, I cry out in pain, searching in my pocket for my phone with my good hand. The physical pain is much too great, and tears pour down my face.

I pull my phone out and dial Marcus' number. He answers on the second ring. "Hello?"

"Come and get me. I just broke my hand," I say, taking in a deep breath. My hand throbs, and I clench my jaw.

"You did what?!" he exclaims.

"Marcus, please. I'm at the school," I say.

Marcus groans, "Fine. I'm on my way." He hangs up, and I slide my phone into my pocket. Then, I place everything in my backpack and slide it onto my shoulder. Craddling my hand to my chest, I make my way out of the classroom and the school, ignoring the curious glances of the teachers that stayed after.

A few minutes later I spot Marcus' black Ford pulling in. I make my way over to it, and I get in once he stops. "Dude, your hand looks terrible!" he exclaims.

"Just take me to the hospital."

"What happened?" Marcus asks as he pulls out of the parking lot.

I shake my head, biting my lip as another throb begins in my hand. "Don't wanna talk about it," I say.

"Well, too bad," Marcus replies, "Start talking."

I lean my head against the window. "Braelyn and I got into an argument."

He sighs, "About what?"

"Supposedly, she can't handle us not talking."

"Do you blame her? You're one of her closest friends. You and Emma. I'm just a good friend."

"Marcus, please, I don't want to get into this. Just take me to the hospital and drop me off."

My best friend groans, "You are so difficult, Xavier."

"That's what my mom tells me all the time."

He falls silent after that, and the rest of the car ride is silent. When he drops me off at the hospital, we don't speak, so I just walk away.

Just like Braelyn did.