Chapter 6- A Deadly Chorus

The past, about 15 and 3/4 years ago.

Ezry

To say that Kyre took over from Taelun and started to train us as I had hoped would be completely false. He did so much better. It had been several weeks now, and on the days we trained with him, he changed everything that we did daily. There was no routine. Some days we did nothing but exercise, others, we practiced with weapons, and many days were a mix. The best days were when he took us into the forest for drills and practice, having other already trained groups attack us.

He of course never helped us, only gave us suggestions as we fought to keep ourselves from loosing too badly. Even though I tell myself that I already knew that me being skilled would not help a large group if they were not as skilled as I, it really is something that one needs to experience to truly lose their pride in that respect.

I certainly hope my father and brother didn't let me win those times. If they did, they're really in for the next time I see them. But I suspect its that, no matter how well my father trained me, and taught me, the experience of being ambushed by those more experienced, and with greater numbers is why my heads new default position is down in shame.

"Everyone, to the center training fields," Kyre spoke loudly as we ran swiftly away from our almost win, but still defeat. We did well as a team; myself leading today, though Kyre always changed who lead for these events.

"You did considerably better today," he told the group, looking at all of us. "I want to know why. You came so close to winning I thought I was going to have to reprimand my trained elite fighters for loosing to this group." He looked at everyone expectantly.

"Commander, I believe it was because you chose Ezry as our lead today," Rafe said looking proud.

Kyre looked towards me, a smirk on his lips, "I think that is exactly what happened." He gave me an assessing look, starting at my head, traveling down in an assessing way, when he got to my chest he stared too long, but realized this as his eyebrow pinched together, and he continued. "Come fight me Ezry, if you come close to winning, I will give you lead more often."

"What if I go beyond coming close, and actually win?" I smiled at him, I was full of myself, and didn't give a damn. I loved a challenge, and he never knew, but I always held myself back when sparing with others. I also have won against me father, though not every time.

He laughed, clutching his stomach, the prick. He didn't stop, until I had walked up to him glaring, having to look up to do so. Everyone took a step back, partly because he rarely laughs unless someone is about to die, but also because I suspect they see the seething look in my eyes.

"If you win, your whole group can be served in the castle dinning hall, by myself," the laughing started dying down.

I knew it wasn't a sure thing. Even on the best of days, I only beat my father half of the time, but he knew everything I did. Kyre didn't know me as well as he thought he did. "Give me your word. If you win you will serve our entire group in the castle dinning room. Wine from the royal reserve included, with our steak. What if you win?"

Surprised, he said simply, "I'm going to win, but I swear I won't throw it in your face. I don't want to embarrass you. You're learning."

"Very admirable. But I don't want that. I have a real stake in this, you should too."

"Don't speak so disrespectfully to me," he looked angry now. "Fine, when I win, your on latrine duty for the week." I sucked in a breath. Shit...literally.