‡3‡ Of Beauties and Barbarians

Hell.

This, Emil decided, had to be what hell looked like.

They were stuck in some sort of ass backwards world with no electricity or running water.

The deepest, darkest depths of hell.

It was bad enough his phone was totalled, but he even had to go through his entire heats with no suppressants.

It was agonizing. The cellar in Yao's house was where his heat had to take its course because, as it turns out, Yao's wasn't lying about the alphas in this world being brutish.

After staying for a few days the three blondes quickly came to realize that their appearance was abnormal here.

The few omegas in the village were roughened after years of household chores. Hair and skin care in this village were almost nonexistent. Basically all the other omegas in the village were already mated by the age of fifteen.  Therefore, these four omegas from an advanced modern world; Emil, Lukas, Tino and Ya (three of them unmated and one with an absent mate) with their smooth hair and skin, stood out like candy canes among plain white straws.

The alphas here didn't hold back from hooting every time they passed, taking every chance to cop a feel and cracking lewd jokes in loud voices.

And he used to think the ones back at school were obnoxious... Emil couldn't help but applaud Yao who spent eighteen years in this hellhole.

He spent his heat curled up in his nest of uncomfortable pillows, furs, blankets with atrocious thread counts and– uhg, straw.

Safe to say that these were the worst few heats of Emil Bondevik's fifteen years of life. Especially after the first time when it ceased and he heard stories from Tino and Lukas about alphas, somehow attracted to the tiny hint of his pheromones from all the way at the edge of the village where Yao's house was, showing up to circle the property. A few apparently even tried to approach the house. That made Emil's blood run cold.

He was used to alphas at least having the decency to avoid another's home, even if they did get a whiff of pheromones. There were also laws to restrain them, but here... There appeared to be no such thing. Even if this world wasn't as primitive as stone henge, it seemed instinct still ruled supreme. Once an omega was marked, they had no choice but to accept their new mate. They had no strength to resist after all. That's why they were all mated so young. He'd never really appreciated the freedom and rights he had back home until now.

Thankfully all those prowlers were beaten down by Leon who Emil gained a lot of admiration for. When he apologised profusely for causing trouble, Leon just shook his head and said he was used to it when his mom had heats.

Emil remembered that Leon must have been the one keeping those beasts at bay from his mother all these years. No wonder he could dissuade that entire group of alphas from jumping the three unmated omegas on the night they met. It seems he had a reputation.

Emil couldn't help likening him to that one super strong, scary guy in the movies that always turned out to have a smoking hot mom and was a real mama's boy. Did that make Yao a milf? That thought made him snort. He outright laughed when the person himself showed a confused face at the word "milf" when he mentioned it and said that his long dried up after he weaned Leon.

Winters here were much more bitter and longer. Staying locked in the house all day was the only way to hide from not only the cold, but also prowling alphas. Yao was mostly safe because it was basically an unspoken rule in the village that any man who tried anything funny with him would get beaten half to death by Leon.