chapter: 18 (Unedited)

Hey doofus, 🤓

Yeah, I'm still very much alive.

I was happy to read that you are still as foolish as you have always been. 😊

Tyler Stark! Seriously, you couldn't find anyone better to replace that William. 😒

What's wrong with you?

Just wait for me. I'll find you a guy.
Or better yet, stay single for life. What's wrong with that?

And no, I don't go finding flaws in every guy you date, Okay? It's just that your taste sucks. 😋
And I did like one. I'm very sure there was a guy I liked. I just can't remember him.

You better find someone suitable or you're going to end up alone for life.

Find someone who is classy, who has a sense of adventure. Who really knows you.

In short: find someone like me. 😂

And tell Mom that I won't be home for this Christmas. Don't get your hopes up. I'm not planning a surprise, I swear.

Tell her that I'll try my best to contact her this weekend. Stay nearby then. We'll talk on phone. I do miss your squeaky voice sometimes.

And I know that you love and miss my British accent. 😉

I'll also try to be there for Karen's wedding. Just tell her not to elope at the last moment. 😑

Oh and Natalie, lose some weight.

Give my love to Fiona. You know, the one we saw at the bar. 😆

Anyway, I gotta go. Stuart is bickering with some guy. I have to go pull him back. He is easy to manage, unlike you.

Unfortunately the one and only macho man in your life,
Carmine Alexander Hayes.

P.S. You do miss me. Admit it, Lee. 😎

Carmine lay back down on his bed and exhaled heavily.

He had read all of the letters that were written by him.

He actually read his memories of three years.

He noticed how his tone eventually changed with her. How his 12 pages letters reduced to 4 pages.

How he stopped looking forward to coming home. How he ignored her certain questions.
He had assembled both of their letters by dates and read all of them again.

He could make sense of her letters now. He knew the answers to her questions.

He knew the reason he was so bitter.

He knew why he started to ignore her.

Because he was in love with her.

Natalie....

Carmine was in love with Natalie. His best friend.

I've been in love, Natalie.

Carmine closed his eyes. It was her all along. And some deepest part of him had already known.

After his accident, he had thought of her as his wife. But she turned out to be his best friend.

Why? Why did he never confess to her? Why did he never confess to being jealous?