Chapter 38: Tutoring

Start from the beginning

The blonde observed the two brunettes as she draped an arm over the plush feeling couch. She watched as Tomomi flipped through the textbook, asking Rina what lesson her class was on. Mami found it slightly humorous how Rina wasn’t able to answer such a simple question. She was sure at least Rina would pay attention in school but it would appear their bad habits of not listening in classes had rubbed off on the once innocent first year student.

“So you can’t tell me the lesson…” Tomomi trailed off, her eyebrows furrowing in concentration. She bolted her body upright, a smile on her face as she got an idea. “Then just tell me the last thing you remember hearing about in class.”

“Well… I remember the teacher saying something about minerals if that helps at all.” Tomomi could only stare at Rina. That really didn’t help at all. There were tons of chapters that covered minerals; they were a big part of Earth Science after all.

The brunette sighed heavily, hanging her head. Rina smiled at her sheepishly, chuckling nervously and scratching the back of her head. Science never was her strong suite; she could never get it no matter how hard she may try. She had just stopped having an interest in a subject that seemed impossible for her to grasp. She wasn’t intentionally making this hard on Tomomi.

Still sitting behind them, Mami smiled. She was feeling a bit better after watching Tomomi get frustrated with Rina already; it was awfully amusing to see. Tomomi was such a soft person that she never counted on her being so easily frustrated, it was something new for Mami to experience.

No matter what though, Mami knew this was going to be one long night for Tomomi if she was already frustrated.

***

“Can we please take a break, Tomomi?” Rina pleaded with her in a slightly whining tone that made Mami chuckle. The blonde had now moved to the other side of the table, the three girls having moved onto math after Tomomi and Rina had no luck with science…. Although they weren’t having much luck with math either and Tomomi blamed that on Mami who simply wouldn’t pay attention. Tomomi could swear she saw Mami falling asleep on her a few times during her lessons.

“We’ve only been working for an hour though,” Tomomi said in a surprised tone. Rina sighed softly but nodded her head in understanding.

“I know but… I have to use the bathroom so… Can we take a break please? Just a small one.”  Mami rubbed one of her eyes from the tiredness Tomomi’s lessons had caused her. She watched as Tomomi stared blankly at a fidgeting Rina. The blonde knew that was more than just nervousness from having to ask to use the bathroom, she knew Rina’s thoughts had wandered away from the lesson now as well.

“You know you don’t have to ask,” Tomomi told her finally. Mami could see a small blush come onto Rina’s face and she smiled from the sight of it. Mami had to admit that being here with these two had made her feel a bit better, but it didn’t take away the thoughts. Those wouldn’t go away no matter how distracted Mami attempted to make herself be.

“W-where is your bathroom?” Rina asked with a small stutter lacing her words.

“Oh! Right… Um… It’s just up the hall, it’ll be the third door,” Tomomi instructed. Rina nodded, grabbing the cellphone off the floor and raising herself to a standing position. She patted down her skirt before making her way around the couch and down the hallway.

Rina quickened her pace, her hands gripping the phone tightly. Her eyes looked around the hallway until she spotted the door that Tomomi had mentioned. She made her way inside, shutting the door behind her and locking it. Her legs carried her over to the sink where her body bent over slightly, her free hand grasping the edge of the sink for support.