"We are leaving. Right now."

       "What's going on?" I practically gasped as he tugged on my arm and forced me towards the entrance of the door. Eildor growled behind us.

       "You can't be here, Emrie. We need to go-"

       "Let go, before the King makes you." Eildor was suddenly blocking our departure, his voice a dark growl as his always-amused eyes looked murderously serious for once. They glared down at the man in front of me.

       I was beyond confused.

       Lei didn't pause, he didn't even seem frightened as he stood tall in front of the large General- his grip so tight in hurt. "No. I'm not afraid of your king." He snapped, his fingers like iron as they dug into my skin. I flinched at the action, and Eildor's eyes snapped over to me. His gaze narrowed, and a vicious snarl pulled from his lips.

       "You should be. You pathetic excuse of an Underling-"

       "That's enough, Eildor."

       I shouldn't have been surprised at the King's deep, hypnotic voice sounding from the top of the stairs. He always seemed to know when something was wrong in his castle. But I was surprised at the odd, tense, calm behind his tone.

       "That's not how we speak to guests." I doubted he saw Leikos as a guest. I knew the rumors about the King were just that, rumors- but that didn't mean they didn't stem from somewhere. North was not one known for mercy to those who trespass on his territory.

       "And that is not how we hold our females." His voice was suddenly in my ear, the dark growl sending chills down my spine as the heat of his body pressed against my back. I gasped. He was ridiculously fast.

       Lei's grip on my arm loosened. "I do not want any trouble. Just let me take Emrie and we will be on our way." His voice was low, calm, as his dark eyes glanced between the King and the large, angry General fuming behind him.

       I felt my stomach drop. I had just started growing closer to him, he just started opening up to me. I didn't want to leave and jeopardize all of that now.

       Besides, I didn't understand the urgency behind the town leader's eyes- or the worry written all over his face.

       He knew the King and I were mates- even if he feared they would hurt me, he should have realized that the King wouldn't allow that. And it's been months since I've been here- months. He's never once came up to the Mountain before then- or sent any kind of letter. One that I was aware of at least.

       "I'm afraid that's impossible."

       The panic in my chest eased some as North's strong hand reached up and gripped gently onto my upper arm- the same one Leikos still clung to. "This is as much her home now as it is mine." My chest tightened at his words, and I glanced over my shoulder to look into his blue eyes- but they were staring down at the man still gripping tightly onto me.

       "I am her guardian." Lei growled, the bright, glowing eyes of his shifter beginning to shine through. I gulped as I felt talons begin to scrape against my skin. I've never seen him lose control like this. It was rather frightening.

       "If I do not want her here then she leaves."

       North shifted behind me, a growl slowly rising in his strong chest as his hand left my arm to wrap slowly around my waist. "Yes, you are the one I gave her back to under the Mountain. That was my mistake- one I won't be making again." His arm around my waist tightened, his large body bending as if he were preparing to jump over me and attack Lei if need be.