Staying Up Late

I can't help but think about something very bad, Ben thought as he looked through his window. I know I shouldn't, but I can't help it.

"Ben, are you still awake?" Uncle Robert asked. "Something bothering you, son?"

"Yes." I whispered. "Dad. I worry he's going to die. I know I shouldn't think this way, but I can't help it."

"He won't die, son, trust me. He won't." Uncle Robert reassured me. "Please, go back to sleep. Want me to get Justin?"

"Yes, please."

"What?" Justin said to Uncle Robert when he called him. "Ben wants me to sleep with him? Okay, I will. Hey, little bro, what's up?"

"Distracted from sleeping due to Dad." I say. "Can't sleep. It's 8:53PM, and I can't sleep."

"Awe, it will be okay. I'll sleep with you, don't worry, I'm here." Justin said in a soothing voice. "Everything will be fine. Go to sleep, I'm right here." 

Justin kept on comforting me like a mother would do to her child.

At around 3, I asked, "When is Dad going to get better?"

"A seven-year old shouldn't ask such questions, but, might as well come up with an answer. Dad is going to get better...Eventually. God will help us through this. Remember, 'I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.' He'll take care of Dad. And if his time comes, then Dad will be lifted up into Heaven and be with Mommy."

"Really, do you think they still love each other?"

"Yes, I know they do. Love is a powerful, and kind thing. It can move many hearts to find just the right one to spend the rest of your life with."

"Like God did with Dad and Mommy. I miss Mommy." 

"I know, bud, I know, but the important thing is to keep holding on, to not let death get to you at all. She will always be in here." Justin pointed to my heart. "Just like Him and His Son, telling us rather or not we're on the right path, and to help us through difficult times, like He is right now. I'll be by your side. Don't worry. Always come to me, Cousin John, Uncle Robert, or Aunt Catherine, okay? They'll be here to help not only you, but me as well. May He keep you safe, warm, and loved. Amen."

"Thank you, dearest brother. May He keep you safe, warm and loved as well. Thank you for helping me through this."

"Anytime. Now, we should go to sleep. It's already 9:02, and we have to get up at 7:00 tomorrow for school."

"Good night."

"Good night."

This is my favorite chapter. What's your favorite chapter? Do you like it so far? Leave a comment, please, and don't forget to vote.