XXII ■ #NotMyAlpha

My heart swelled as I watched Fergus run around the front end of the SUV. With his face distorted in a savage glare, I didn't doubt for a second that he would put down anyone who got in his way.

"Mo chridhe!"(My heart) he cried.

"What are you doing?" Sabrina shrieked as Fergus easily hauled the young witch off her feet. "Put me down!" She demanded. "What the hell is your problem?"

I felt bad for Fergus as a look of confusion crossed his face. This wasn't what he had expected, and his shoulders slumped forward in defeat as Willie's doppelganger continued to struggle in his arms. I wondered if I'd ever be able to check 'get Fergus laid' from off of my list.

But Fergus would not give up and with a sudden resolve, he bent forward. I could almost feel the shift in nature as Sabina melted into the larger man. Her body relaxed as his lips moved against hers, and soon even she was kissing him back.

Is that what it's supposed to be like when you find your mate, I wondered.

As the Scottish ginger headed off to some where more private with my best friend, I suddenly realized that I was no longer standing beside Alpha Jack. With just a few steps, I quickly back tracked before lowering my head. Not only was I trying to avoid Jackson's raised brow, but the crestfallen look on Gabriel's face was just too much right now. Even when I didn't mean too, somehow I still ended up hurting the Northern King.

"I didn't know witches had mates," I mumbled as I watched Fergus carry Sabrina off towards my cottage. Sure I was happy that the two had finally found each other, but I hadn't expected them to be mating on top of my bed when it happened.

"Just to be clear," Jackson frowned, "witches don't have mates." Unlike the patience and understanding Gabriel had always shown me, Jackson, on the other hand, always seemed so displeased by my lack of knowledge. "They have familiars, though," he continued. "I guess you wouldn't know that though since you've basically grown up as a human."

The tip of my tongue begged to blurt that it was due to his own Beta. I didn't get the chance though, as Gabriel slowly ambled towards us. After I left, he must have saved the last of Willie's potion, but by the way he struggled, I could tell he had taken it hours ago. Jackson would never be able to tell, but I could, and the fact that Gabriel was even standing up at this point was a miracle.

"Jackson Odwolfe," Gabriel acknowledge the other King with a nod and an outstretched hand. "As always, it's a pleasure visiting you."

"And it's a pleasure having you," Jackson smiled.

There was a moment, when Jackson placed his hand on the small of my back, that a low rumble erupted from Gabriel's direction. But I refused to look up and Jackson refused to give in. Even as I could feel his eyes boring holes into my flesh, I wouldn't look up.

I couldn't bare to see the hurt in Gabriel's eyes, I was after all his mate. I realized something today, and although I would never be ok with the way Gabriel had taken me, I know now he was only acting upon tradition. With Bree happily mated, I planned to do what I do best. Unfortunately, I just wasn't sure if that direction would be towards Gabriel or not.

*
**
***

Gazing out the window, I waited for night fall. The smell of sex still fresh in the air. They weren't very happy about it, but I'd had no other choice than to kick the love-birds out of their nest. Maybe tomorrow when everyone else discovered I was gone, they too would understand.

I gathered up the rest of my things before splashing some animal urine on myself. If I was going to make it past Jackson's patrols, then my scent needed to be completely untrackable. I gave the room a quick once over before heading over to the door. With nothing more than the clothes on my back and a small bag over my shoulder, I needed to get the hell away from here, and fast.