XII ■ Confessions

"Alexis, stop!"

I was about to tear out of the Waffle House parking lot, when Freddy suddenly came running after me.

"C'mon," he yelled, jumping out of the way as I revved up the engine. "Don't do this to me-- to us!"

Sticking my hand out the window, I flashed Freddy a one fingered salute before flying past.

"See ya never!" I hollared as dust and pebbles flew up in the rearview.

Freddy soon turned into a tiny speck the further I drove, and just like that, I found myself heart broken, single and dirt ass poor. Now all that was left was for someone to run over my damn dog, then I'd have the perfect intro for a country song.

As I drove down the little two lane highway, I couldn't help but replay the images of Gabriel's mangled body laying in the oncoming traffic of the Dan Ryan. After a few 'evasive manuvers', it hadn't been hard to dislodge him from the roof. But it wasn't for another four hundred miles, before the tingling around the King's mark finally stopped. Right around then, while we were trading in the beat up Oldsmobile, was when Freddy finally confessed that the red head back in Chicago, was his mate.

I tried to hold back the tears as we sat down to order dinner, but we had been side-by-side, practically inseparable for twenty years. Somewhere along the way, I had let Freddy successfully persuade me, that the whole idea surrounding mates was 'absolute bollocks'.

Apparently though, except for when it came to finding his own mate. He told me that the moment he laid eyes on that home wrecking slut, he realized everything he'd ever believed had been wrong.

"Look Alex, go back to the King," Freddy urged. "I was wrong. About everything--"

Yeah. Okay, I frowned. That sounded like a wonderful plan. Tucking tail and running back, just wasn't in my nature.

While Freddy was lucky enough to get a human for a mate, mine was still the King of the entire damn species! Maybe one day I would go back, once I ran out of other things to do-- but not before stopping to pick up that special little potion from Willie.

*
**
***

Gabriel-

"C'mon Gabe, you need to eat."

The King sat fireside in his room, a permanent scowl etched on his face. He was damn near naked too, with just a blanket drapped over his lap and his torso entirely exposed. Terry checked on the King's taped up ribs before pushing the bowl of broth towards him.

"Your wolf needs his strength in order to help you heal," the Gamma reminded him.

"So you bring me broth?"

The King felt a slight remorse as the words came out more harsh than he had intended them to sound. He knew it wasn't Terry's fault, but it had been three days since the whole fiasco in Chicago. As far as he could remember, there had never been a time in his life when Gabriel had felt more betrayed than he did now.

With a ferocious snarl, Gabriel snatched the bowl and tossed it against the wall. "I can't believe I let her get away," he growled.

Terry flinched as the bowl shattered on the floor, the yellowish liquid rolling down the wall.

"She was right there," he yelled with a shake of his hand for emphasis. "Right there!"

Deep down, he always knew they would find Alexis with the bastard Rogue, but a million years couldn't have prepared him for what could quite possibly be deemed as the ride of his life. Of course while he was on top of the car, wrenching back the corner of the roof, it had occurred to him that maybe this wasn't the way to win her back.