Chapter 2: Visit

ARIELA'S POV

Saturday finally arrived and I sat in my car outside the Kings's mansion.

As much as I didn't want to admit it, it looked like a beautiful home. Its large and luxurious exterior being further proof of Xerxes Kings's wealth and status.

Taking a deep breath, I slowly exited my car and composed myself before heading towards the entrance. A man stood guard and looked down at me with a bland expression on his face. 'Someone doesn't want me to be here.' I thought.

"Invitation please." He requested, extending an expectant hand out.

I handed the man my invitation. He examined it and glanced at me. I nervously shifted on her fee. What if he realizes I wasn't formally invited?

Time seemed to go on forever before he handed me back my invitation.

"Welcome to Kings's Home."

I released the breath that I realized I've been holding.

"Thank you." I replied before entering the mansion and admiring its beauty. I cannot express in words how impressed I was while looking inside the bright room.

Many guest were present, as glasses of wine were being carried around and offered to people who were deep in conversation. The furniture in the home looks as if it had been hand-made, a natural glow adorned the room from the large windows and everything look pristine. Something you would expect Xerxes Kings to own.

As I looked around the room, I spotted a familiar face and began walking at that direction.

On my way, I caught snippets of conversations among the guests. But one in particular between some women near me caught my attention.

"I don't understand why Xerxes is still hung up on his wife. It was two years ago, he should be over her by now!" A blond expressed with a whine.

"I know right. I would love to have all this." The red-head dreamily looked around the room. "I think I might have a chance with him."

"I don't really think you're his type sweetie." The blonde laughed, a tinge of jealousy in her eyes.

"Please ladies..." A brunette cut in. "We all know I have the best chance. I look a bit like his wife don't you think?"

I scoffed at the conversation, shaking my head and continuing my pursuit. I clearly doesn't have the luxury to butt into someone's conversation.

"Montemayor is that you?" I yelped as I heard a voice call to my last name.

I glanced up and saw the familiar face of my friend come into view.

"Molina how are you?" I asked, also addressing my friend using her last name. It was a standard greeting between us after so long.

"I'm good. What are you doing here? Especially at Mr. Kings event! I don't know if you've forgotten but your brother is responsible for his family's death." My friend ask with a tinge of confusion and worry in her voice.

"I could ask you the same thing." I replied, even though I already knew the reason why Molina was here. Her husband owned a large business and although it was not as big as Xerxes's, the two men still knew each other and were acquaintances.

My friend just raised her eyebrow and stared at me expectantly, waiting for an answer.

I sighed and answered. "I came to speak with Mr. Kings and make a compromise. I can't let my brother live like this anymore! I want him out of there!"

As I felt tears of frustration rise up to my eyes, Molina gently placed a hand on my back. "Don't worry, I'm sure you'll have a chance to talk to him." She replied in a comforting manner.

Taking a deep breath, I nod at her.

"Though, if you don't mind me asking, how do you plan on getting through to him?" She asked after a minute.

"I'll pay him. Any amount of money he wants I'll give him. It doesn't even have to be money. I just want my brother back." I replied with determination.

"I hate to burst your bubble Ariela but Xerxes is extremely rich, I don't think he'd want anything from you. Either way, no amount of money or bribery can pay for a life - two in fact." She friend informed then raised two fingers in the air.

"I at least need to try." I stated, trying to assure myself.

***

Time pass and there was still no sign of Xerxes.

"I wonder if he's even coming." Molina curiously inquired then took a sip on her wine glass.

Just as I was about to reply, a voice echoed through the room. "Welcome everybody, we are honoured that you have all decided to attend the Kings' Annual vineyard observation. Unfortunately, Mr. Kings himself will not be able to attend today as he has fallen ill. Nonetheless, please feel free to explore the grapevines and taste the amazing vine that they have to offer - as I'm sure most of you already have." Everyone chuckled as the announcer concluded his speech.

I felt deflated, like I just wanted to curl up into a ball and cry. Right here in front of everyone. Xerxes Kings is not coming- when I thought I finally had the chance.

As if sensing my changed mood, the sky that have been greying for a couple of hours now finally opened up and it began raining.

Molina frowned. "Well, there goes looking around the estate."

I was too upset to care about this point.

"I'm going for a walk anyway." I said and began walking to the door. I need to clean my head. Maybe the rain might help.

Molina grabbed my arm back into place.

"Woah, woah, woah Montemayor - stop right there. You'll get drenched out there."

"A little bit of rain never hurt anybody." I stared at her who sigh and let me go.

Walking out the door, I looked at the yard in front of me. Mr. Kings' wealth was clear from a mile away in this yard.

After being lost in my thoughts and aimless walking for 10 minutes, I stopped and look at my surroundings. Maybe it was a bad idea to walk in the rain, my clothes began to soak through as the rainfall became top heavy for even the leaves above my head to contain. I looked around and noticed a house, a small-ways away from my location.

Deciding that I would rather not be sick in the next few days, I began making my way towards it. I didn't need a cold to add to my list of problems.

Arriving at the house, I found it as it was unlocked and I entered it. The little house has stylish walls but I noticed scattered things across the room.

What I didn't expect to see, was empty bottles of various alcohol strewn across the ground and furnitures.

What's worst is that I couldn't even imagine seeing a bearded human-being, known as Xerxes Kings knocked out cold on the sofa.

***

[THIS CHAPTER IS ORIGINALLY EDITED BY @nerdygirl03. Thank you so much!]