Chapter 15: "Where's the Fire?"

Start from the beginning

I rolled my eyes at her exaggeration. "Okay calm down."

We laughed all the way to class.

***

"Okay Class! Thats all the time we have today!" The coach blew his whistle and everyone dispersed to the locker rooms.

I snarled at Alex's back. We were playing dodgeball today and we were on opposite teams so I expected him to kick my ass but nope! He didn't even look at me! I would stand in front of him but he would look over my head and strike someone from the back. It was very infuriating.

I huffed and ran to the locker room, wanting to meet Alex in the office so I can confront him. I shouldn't but I wanted to.

I pulled my clothes on and tried to rush out until Jen grabbed my arm, stopping me. "Hey! Where's the fire?"

IN MY LOINS! I thought in my head before I slapped myself mentally. "Nowhere! I just can't be late to my mom's office. You know how she gets." I rolled my eyes, pretending that my mom was annoying. Only sometimes she is...

"Yeah, I guess." She hugged me. "See you tomorrow!"

I basically skipped to the office excited about something. I didn't know what but it was something.

When I reached the office, I found Alex outside, scowling at a paper taped to the door.

"What?" I asked him.

He scoffed at me and pointed to the note. "That's whats wrong. Hurry up and call her." I was confused until I read the note.

Ariana, Please call me ASAP!

I pulled out my phone and checked it to see I had 5 missed calls from her. I called her waiting for her to pick up.

Alex rolled his eyes at me, making me roll my eyes at him.

"Ari honey, I'm so sorry but I'm stuck at the bank." She sounded upset.

"Why, whats wrong mom?" I squeezed my phone tight, afraid of the answer. Alex who was facing away from me, turned his head like he was listening but I knew he couldn't. He didn't have super human hearing like me.

"It's just that, well the bank didnt approve our loan and-I don't know-the house-"

"Mom!" I said, cutting her off and then whispering. "It's okay, we will figure something out. I promise you."

My mother sighed. "I know, I know. I don't mean to tell you this."

"Mom you can tell me anything."

"I know I can." I imagined her smiling.

"So, does this mean we can go home?" Alex perked up when he heard me ask that.

"Actually, I spoke to Alex's father and asked him for permission if Alex can serve his punishment at our house."

"What?" Alex and I said at the same time. I looked at him confused.

"I'm sorry honey, I can't make it. Please ask if Alex can give you a ride to the house. I'll be there soon." She hung up on me and whirled around to face Alex who was shaking from anger.

Why is he angry? I haven't even told him anything yet. "Um, hey, my mom said that she can't make it and if you can give me a ride to my house." I rubbed my neck.

Alex ignored me and took out his phone, calling someone. After two beeps, a man's voice rang through. I recognized it as his dad. "Dad, did you tell the VP that I can go to her house? What the hell man?! You know what, whatever." Alex hung up before his father could say anything.