F I F T Y - S E V E N

100 votes? thanks guys ♡︎

I fold my cardigan over my stomach and cross my arms, ducking my head in my shoulders to prevent the cold air to hit my neck as I walk on the sidewalk. The sound of high heels clicking on the pavement behind me reverberates in the quiet night. I quickly turn around and freeze when our eyes meet.

"Mad-... What... what are you doing here?" I mumble, stumbling back a bit as she keeps walking towards me with a stupid smirk curled up on her lips. She finally comes to a stop and rests both hands on her hips, lifting an eyebrow at me.

"You look like a lone wolf, Hailee." she looks down and picks at her nails before giving me a malicious grin. I furrow my brows in confusion, swallowing difficultly.

"What do you want?" I clench my jaw and take a step forward. She chuckles.

"Oh that's very simple. I want you out of town."

My heartbeat increases.

"I heard that Grayson got accepted into UCB so I thought... why not apply to the same school as him? Who knows, maybe if you're out of town and finally out of his life I could go back with him and things could go back to the way they used to be..." she crosses her arms, her smile not leaving her lips. I gulp and look down.

Fuck.

"How did you know I wanted to leave?" I lock my gaze with hers while she takes a few steps forwards.

"I didn't."

I raise my eyebrows in surprise before frowning in confusion once more.

"It's not like you have a choice anyways. Whether you would like to stay or not, you will leave this city. For. Ever." her expression falls dead cold and serious.

"Not sure Ethan would be happy to learn that you were carrying his child and killed it, right?" she begins to walk around me like a predator ready to pounce at its prey.

"It was not his." I murmur and turn around quickly, tears starting to fill my eyes. She chuckles, rolling her head back a bit before looking back at me.

"No one knows that. You know how quick I can spread a rumour, right? It only takes a snap of my fingers for Grayson to fall back in love with me and for him to hate you forever." she spits as she walks slowly towards me. I back up at the same rhythm.

"You wouldn't..."

"Try me." she smiles. I draw my fist back and swing forward to punch her but she firmly grabs my hand and twist my wrist, making me scream in pain and collapse to my knees. She lets go of my hand and I instinctively glue it to my chest to stop the aching pain in my arm. I rub it up and down as I glare up at her.

"He was never in love with you in the first place!" I shout and her shoulders jump lightly as she laughs.

"Oh you have no idea, honey..." she tilts her head to the side. She walks forwards and swing her leg back before kicking in my ribs with all her strength. My breath cuts short and I gasp, pressing both hands on my stomach.

"Stay out of my way, Smith... and stay out of his." she smirks before walking away.

I roll to my back, still holding onto my ribs. I close my eyes and let out a deep breath. I turn my head and stare at her as she walks confidently in the dark scenery.

I wish I had someone at the moment.

A friend, a family member... someone to listen to me. I would tell them that she is back in town. I would tell them I took one hell of a hit tonight. I would tell them all my worries.