T H I R T Y - S E V E N

I step in the school and suddenly everyones goes silent and stares at me, smiles stamped on their faces. I gulp and dug my head as I walk to my locker.

Why is everybody staring at me like that...

I see a sticker note on my locker. I peel it off and look at it.

"Don't die from a heart attack when you open your locker xx ♡︎ ~Cece"

I furrow my brows and stare at the lock. I take all my time to unlock it. The school is still dead silent. I finally take the lock off and bring my gaze up. I take a deep breath before swinging the door open.

Dozens of balloons come out of my locker and I see confettis being thrown at me.

"What the f-" I mumble and narrow my eyelids to see what's in my locker. Candice comes out and stretches her arms out in the air.

"Happy birthday!!!" she screams and all the school cheers on me. They all start to sing happy birthday. I burst out laughing and try to cover my red cheeks with my hands.

Something in the corner of my eye catches my attention. I see Ethan walking up to me with a cupcake and a candle on it. He smiles widely.

"Awww Ethan! You didn't have to!" my gaze switches between Ethan and the cupcake. He chuckles and hands it to me. I give a quick look to all the people behind me and smile at them.

I bring my gaze back to the cupcake and close my mouth, a light smile still curled up on my lips. I close my eyes and make a wish.

I wish...

To remember.

I open my eyes and stare at Grayson, who's opening his locker at the other end of the hall.
He turns his head and his lips slightly part open when he sees me. He gulps and forces himself to give me a quick smile. He takes his books, shuts his locker and walks away.

My smile fades away. I look back at the cupcake. I blow out the candle on and everybody cheers again.

I bring my gaze up one last time, not to stare at Grayson walking away, but to stare at Ethan, smiling and standing in front of me. At least he celebrates my birthday... He's a good friend.

Or even more than a friend...

-----

"So how are things going with Grayson?" Becca asks as she shoves fries in her mouth and we both stare at Candice. She blushes from ear to ear.

"Ouuuh girl! Tell us everything!" Becca smiles widely and I chuckle while looking down.

I don't think they realize how much it hurts.

I may have forgotten Grayson, but I know that deep down I used to love him... and that's what hurts the most.

"Well first of all, we really want to take things slow. We've only been dating for a week, so no sex." she smiles at us and we give her a dirty look.

"Y'all hoes already know I jumped his bones more than once!" she claims and the two girls burst out laughing. I force a smile and quickly look away to hide the tears that were forming in my eyes.

I stand up and take my trey of food before walking up to a trash can. I throw my rests away and hand the trey to the cafeteria lady. I readjust my backpack on my shoulder and glare at them one last time before exiting the cafeteria.

"Hailee!" Candice shouts while standing up. She slowly sits back down when she sees me leaving. She lets out a deep sigh.

-----