+36.+

Dante looked up at the swings carousel before looking down at me and grinned. My eyes widen and I shook my head, “No! I'm tired of going up in the air.”

“It'll be fun.” he said, grabbing my hand and dragged me over to the line.

“No!” I hissed as I broke my arm free and turned to fun, but he wrapped his arms around me and lifted me up off my feet. “No! I don't like heights!”

“You're going to be fine.” he said. “We have just been walking around for the last hour and I didn't spend twenty dollars for tickets for nothing. Come on, it'll be fun.”

“I-I'll throw up.” I said. “I had a hamburger, it wont be pretty in the end.”

I opened my mouth to speak but I saw someone in the corner of my eyes. I turned my head and saw Lori. She was walking down this way with Jackson. She was laughing with him and before I could let her see me, I forced Dante arms off me and I went behind him since he was huge like a mountain. I knew she hated me and I didn't want to deal with the awkwardness.

“Wh-what are you doing?” Dante asked as he tried to move away.

I put my hands on his waist and forced him to stay where he was, “Don't move! Old friend coming this way and she hates me.”

“The red head?” he asked.

“Yes, so shut up!” I hissed at him, slapping his head. “If she sees me, this will be so awkward because the last time—“

“Nevaeh?” I heard Lori and I cringed as my eyes squeezed tightly, wishing I could disappear. “Nevaeh, is that you?”

I forced my back up and I stepped from behind Dante, forcing a big smile on my face, “Lori! Hey, how are you?”

“Fine.” she said and her eyes traveled down to my stomach. Her eyes quickly came up to my face and she looked at Dante, her eyes coming back to me, “I didn't think you'll be here.”

“Of course I would, I come every year.” I said. “Jackson, hey, how are you?”

“I'm good.” he said. “How are you? I see there's a bun in the oven.”

“Oh yeah, due in April.” I said. “You two look great together, don't hurt her or I’ll have to hurt you.” I jokingly said as I chuckled, hitting his arm. Oh God, just kill me now! I'm just making this even more awkward.

“Where's Hadrian?” she asked.

“Hmm?” I asked, pretending as if I didn't hear her. I wanted to run away so bad or hide my face under a paper bag.

“Hadrian.” she said. She looked up at Dante, “Who's this?”

“Oh! This is Dante.” I said as I held my hand out towards Dante. “He's a friend of mine. Right?” I asked Dante as I pushed him forward.

Dante cleared his throat and smiled, “Hi, nice to meet a friend of Nevaeh.”

“Uh-huh.” Lori said. She looked at me, “Well, see you around I guess.”

I frowned but quickly forced a smile on my face, “Right—Lori,” I said when she started walking away. She stopped and turned to face me, “You're still my best friend, even it's rough right now.” She just forced a smile on her face and nodded before turning back around, leaving with Jackson. I groaned, throwing my head back, and cursed. “I meant to say something totally different.”

“Why aren't you and red head besties anymore?” Dante asked. “I have a feeling it's because of Hadrian.”

“Long story.” I said. “I wanna go on the ride now.” I said to avoid telling him. We moved up in the line and when the chairs got empty. I walked over to a red one and looked at it, hesitating. I wasn't lying when I said I was tried of being in the air. Maybe this was a bad idea.