Chapter 14: Escape

Sarah Anderson, Demon Lord's Castle.

The hall's castle around me seemed to crumble in slow motion, slower than the eye can detect even over a lifetime, while I made my way towards the courtyard. Heart pounding, rasping throat, and tears blinding me, I ran, feet kissing the cold stone floor. Those heels were no good to me at the moment. They were slowing me down. Who the hell invented high heels must really hate women. As I kick them off my heart beat faster and the adrenaline demanded me to go faster. I ran as quickly as my short legs could carry me. According to Cinn, I would only have a few minutes to succeed. The ritual would begin at the end of the sunset and end when the moon stood at its higher peak. For a slip second, I gazed outside through the window that was at my left. "Dammit!" I cursed silently. It was almost time. I needed to get there as soon as possible. A few meters ahead, I stopped and hid between two walls at the sight of two demons very well armed and good-looking too. If this didn't work out, I'm calling dabs. I peaked; both of them seemed like orcs from a fantasy game, without the tusks tho. They had two metal pauldrons over both their shoulders, a gorget holding them together and metal patches over their waist, holding a small fabric in front of their intimate parts, plus two braces protecting their wrists, two sharp spears, and greek leather shoes. The distraction would have to go perfectly. I put my hand inside the small bag I had shoulder strapped and pulled out a glass ball with a gray mist trapped inside. "Cinn said this is going to hold them enough for me to get in and out." I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, gathering all the courage I had in my guts. Without further due, I got out of my hiding place and walked to their encounter.

"Hey, you! Who are you? You can be here." The demon on the left said after noticing me approaching.

"It's a human! What she's doing here?!" The younger one whispered.

"I don't have a clue, Zedar. Humans aren't supposed to know about this plane, let alone be here." He explained.

Both looked confused as I smiled graciously and waved at them.

"Then let's find out, Beiser. We can take her into custody and--"

The demon named Beiser held up his arm to the side, stopping the younger demon on his tracks. "Human." He only said; his demoniac voice made me shiver.

I stopped; hands sided with my body, head slightly bowed. Don't blow it. I told myself.

He approached slowly. "We mean no harm, just tell us how did you find about this place--..."

Cinn had warned me about this. As these 'people' were brought here, to an alternative dimension to theirs, as holograms against their will and knowledge, they would act as if they were indeed in the abyssal plains, protecting their master's castle, and would certainly mistake me for an intruder. So I had to be careful.

"Didn't you heard him, human?" The guy named Zedar said. "You're testing my nerves already!"

This guy, despite being younger than the other demon, was a lot scarier. The other one seemed nice, I guess?

"Are you listening or not?!" The guy grabbed my wrist with great force and pulled me forward.

"Eeek!" I bumped into his bare, chiseled chest. How did he get near me that fast?! Oh my God! I yclept, realizing that, with the abrupt movement, I dropped the glass ball. Where is it?! I looked around for it, freaking out; it was then when saw it rolling down the hallway.

The older demon grabbed the younger by the shoulder and pushed him backwards. Zedar glared at Beiser. "What the hell man?!"

"Do you have to be such a brute?!" Beiser scolded him.