.:14:.

I gazed through to the other side of the fence, clutching it desperately. My eyes searched all of the faces I could see - some even turned to look at me - but Kellin was nowhere to be seen. Everyone here was dressed exactly the same way, so spotting him was even more of a challenge. Now that I knew some facts about concentration camps from Stephen, it seemed to make a lot of sense though.

How would I get him out once I saw him? I needed to dig under the fence and make a hole big enough for him to fit through. That was exactly what I started doing, with my bare hands. Even if it was too late for Kellin, which was a possibility I did not want to consider, this could at least help some of the other innocent people.

My eyes were still looking out at the faces, when a large group, looking exactly like the rest, was lead out of one of the buildings. I scanned their miserable faces and a feeling like none I had ever experienced before engulfed my whole brain upon the sight of my love, walking, breathing. Kellin was there and just as alive as anyone around him.

There were some clear changes with him though. His cheek was red and had a slight cut in it, which I was sure would turn into a nasty bruise. He wore the same clothes as everyone, as well as a hat, but I saw none of the dark locks, which I loved so much, hanging out. There also seemed to be something black on his arm, but I could not see exactly what it was from this distance.

I wanted to call out to him, but I did not want to attract the attention of the soldiers. So, instead, I just intently stared at him in the hope of telepathically telling him to look to his left. What could I do?

Luckily for me, Kellin was looking around at the area, turning from side to side. He turned in my direction and my heart sank when he did not notice me. Then, as if realising that something strange was there, his gaze snapped back to me. I was quite concealed by the leaves from behind, but I was sure Kellin could see me, as clear as day.

My eyes linked with his and I saw the relief in them, even from so far away. I dug my nails into the ground, but it was too hard to make a hole big enough. I was yearning for Kellin to be with me. He had undoubtedly been hurt and I did not want it to happen again; he was too special for that.

The soldiers on the inside of the fence were gathering everyone and saying something to them. Kellin looked blank, clearly not understanding a word of the German they were speaking. Finally, the soldiers signaled for them to spread apart and do their jobs. Kellin stayed around everyone else for a few moments before, as unsuspiciously as he could, speed-walking in my direction with a wheelbarrow that had been shoved into his hands.

He got up to the fence and placed the wheelbarrow in a position that would shield us. Finally, the boy who I had feared for so much was before me. I stood up, pausing my digging for now, and reached my arms through the holes in the fence (luckily it was not electric). Kellin walked right into them and let me hug him as hard as I could with the barrier between us.

"What 'ave they done to you?" I whispered, taking off his hat to see the new buzzcut, which was so unlike him. The long, black hair, which was always tied up, contributed to his wildness. Next, I cradled his face in my hands, while he looked down, and examined the bruised cheek.

"Th-they cut all my hair off a-and gave me this," Kellin said, lifting his arm and showing the black mark which I had noticed before. Now I could finally see that it was a number, yet I still did not know what it meant and I did not think he did either. "I don't know what's going on, I don't understand what they're saying at all. They keep repeating that one word though: 'Juden'. I'm pretty sure they think I'm Jewish because of the shirt. Please just get me out of here; I'm trying my best to do as they say and follow all the orders, but I don't understand it and they keep hurting me whenever I do something wrong. God, I just want to get out."

I frowned at what he told me, remembering what Stephen had explained about how these concentration camps were set up for Jewish people and those who opposed the Nazis in general. To think that he had been unlucky enough to end up here seemed insane, it was so unlike Kellin, as he had been very fortunate before.

I stretched out my arms towards Kellin again but, instead of embracing, I pulled his head towards mine and, through one of the holes in the fence, I made our lips meet. It was quick and desperate, but it felt amazing to be able to do this after so much worrying. This barely lasted a second though, as our situation was already bad enough.

"I found 'em," I breathed. "I found everyone. Stephen's alive. They're expecting us an' we need to get back to them by tomorrow or else they'll leave without us." Nothing could make me as happy as the expression on Kellin's face when I told him the news.

Kellin and I scraped at the ground near the bottom of the fence. He could have climbed it, but he would be much easier to spot and would have been shot down. There was barbed wire at the top anyway. We dug our nails into the dirt until our hands hurt, yet we were still not making much progress. If only we had some sort of shovel or anything to be able to dig under more successfully.

I kept glancing up, my eyes glued to Kellin. He looked so different, so much more negative like everyone else here. Had he lost hope? Had it been drained from him when he realised what was truly going on here? It killed me to even think of that possibility, as Kellin had always been my light in the darkness - my remedy.

The dazzling boy realised that I was staring and looked up to meet my eyes, catching the concern in them. Instantly, his expression softened into a small smile.

"It could be worse," he said. "At least they haven't killed me yet."

Although what he said was bittersweet, I could not help but smile back and shake my head.

Our work was interrupted by the distant blowing of a whistle. I straightened up and retreated further into the trees, scanning what was happening. The soliders were rounding up every person, one by one, and filing them into a single building. I narrowed my eyes, trying to get a better look at it and, as soon as I did, I could have sworn that my heart stopped beating for a second.

The building was long and wide, with a low ceiling. It had no windows and one door, which looked very sturdy and was completely made out of metal, unlike all of the other ones on different buildings. The door had so many locks on it too, but on the outside, as if it was there to stop people from leaving.

This building fit the description that Stephen had given to me of the gas chambers which they used for executing people. But why now? Why them? Maybe it was completely random and luck just was not on Kellin's side today, especially when one of the soldiers noticed him and began walking in our direction and calling out.

"What's going on?" Kellin asked blankly, mostly to himself.

Still concealed in the trees, I frantically explained, "They're killin' everyone. It seems like they're makin' everyone take a shower, but, instead of water, poisonous gas comes out. No matter what, don't inhale it. Hold your breath for as long as you can, then fall to the ground and play dead. Make it believable. They'll pro'bly burn the bodies, so get out of there as soon as you can without anyone noticing. I'll be there to 'elp when I can, just don't breathe in the gas."

I rushed out the words until no air was left in my lungs, then I quickly shut up and moved further into the trees so that the soldier would not see me. All I did was swiftly fish out a blade which I had stolen from the group and slide it across the ground. It was tiny - small enough to hide in a man's clenched fist - but big enough to harm or even kill. Inconspicuously, Kellin picked it up and tucked it into his sleeve, playing it off as if he was tying his shoelaces. The boy took off in the direction of the soldier, without a look back at me, as it would have been too suspicious.

"I love you," I whispered, even though Kellin could not hear it, in fear of this being the last three words I ever directed at him. All I could do now was pray.

_____________

Only about 5 or 6 chapter left. I can't wait to write the ending :)