.:5:.

When Kellin told me that most of our time would be spent sitting around in the trenches and waiting for something to happen, I did not believe him. But now, after three days of radio silence from the other side, worrisome sleepless nights, and peacefully recording everything in my notebook, I could not agree more.

The most exciting thing that occurred was moving further east when we realised that it was safe to do so. We were not told very much but I figured that we were trying to push the German troops back into Germany, that was why we were constantly on the move.

I was surprised to have made a few friends here, mainly due to the black haired boy with the unusual name. He was so sociable and, as I associated with him, some of his acquaintances were friendly with me too. There was not much talking though as everyone had had their spirit sucked out - well, all except for Kellin who still glowed.

It was now the fourth day of absolutely nothing happening and the tension was eating me alive. That feeling of constantly being scared for my life never went away - if anything it grew because, with each day of radio silence, it felt as though they were going to attack with something much worse.

We spent the entirety of the second calm day just driving East and I was on edge the whole time. Cars were much bigger and would be easier to hit with whatever weapons the enemy had.

The third day was the best as, to my surprise, I received a letter from my mother. It warmed my heart to know that she was still concerned and viewed me as more than a lost cause.

In the letter, she explained how much she and everyone in our area missed me. A while ago I probably would not have believed the second half of the statement but, upon watching so many people I was familiar with go off to war, I knew what they must have been feeling. While he was there, I constantly complained about our neighbour, Mr Stratton, and how he would always forget to collect the milk which was brought by the milkman and would leave it on his doorstep which attracted all of the neighbourhood cats. I had badmouthed him so many times to whoever would listen yet, as soon as he left, I found myself missing the meows which woke me up early every morning. It was those little things which we barely noticed that we missed the most.

According to what my mother said, my brother was working as a medic somewhere near the border between France and Germany. She told me to visit him if I ever had the chance to and I silently promised myself to do so. I had not seen him in months and the simple sight of Michael would have been such a relief.

I wrote back to my mother, giving her details of what life had been like here so far. I avoided most of the negatives as I did not want her to worry, and explained how I had made a couple of friends and how we did more lazing around than actual shooting.

I signed the letter and passed it on to Stephen who then passed it on to whoever.

It was now the morning and I was sitting on the wooden floor of the trenches with Kellin and Stephen next to me. I had noticed that those two were very close and were clearly best friends. They were around the same age so I could only assume that they knew each other beforehand, which they later confirmed for me. They were inseparable and I could not help but feel a slight tinge of jealousy: I wanted someone who I could trust and rely on here and who would tell me that everything would be okay even though I knew it wouldn't. I just needed someone. But being accepted into Kellin and Stephen's friendship, even if I was the odd one out, was enough of a blessing.

The two were sitting side to side with their arms over each other's shoulders, cracking jokes and laughing together. I was situated opposite them with my notebook on my lap, trying to find something to write about but figuring out nothing. Instead I just drew a rough sketch of the two boys before me, capturing their smiles.