.:1:.

Hello, kids. I have come across many Kellic AUs but I've never seen a WW2 one, so I decided it would be a cool idea to write it. I obviously mean no disrespect to anyone who has lost family members in the war and I'm simply writing this for entertainment purposes.

I'm not very good at writing in an old-fashioned style, so I'm going to stick with my own style, and a lot of facts will definitely be incorrect but I'm doing my best, k?

Also, this story probably won't be updated as often as One More Night With You or Designer Hearts because this is more of a side project. I will still put a lot of effort into it though and make the chapters longer than what I would usually write, just to make up for the infrequent future updates.

Obviously there will be some triggering things in this story, as war in itself is a pretty heavy topic.

Enjoy.

_____________

It was that time of year again. That one day during which he could not stop the tears in the night and all he would hear during the day were phantom gunshots. Even getting out of bed was hard: not only from the destructive feeling but also from how much his back hurt. But he was happy.

His joints cracked as if they were made of plastic and the lung problems sometimes even made breathing painful. The vision in his dark eyes had started fading years ago, leaving him with thick-rimmed glasses. But he was happy.

It had been so, so long, but the memories never stopped haunting him. His dreams were always nightmares, slapping the events of the past into his face. He wanted it to end so much. But he was happy.

Michael took a deep breath and cleared his throat, running his hands over his face to rub the sleep from his eyes. The bed next to him was empty, but still warm. Alysha must have woken up not long ago to make breakfast. That woman never gave herself a break and always needed to be up on her feet, doing something. But that was why he loved her so much and looked down at the ring on his finger with a small smile.

His chest felt heavy when he sat up on the bed. It was only the morning and he already felt so down, but he just needed to see them again.

Standing up, Michael leaned down, supporting himself on the bed, and reached into the lowest draw of his nightstand. From there, he retrieved the box, hearing the three items moving around inside. He had to be very careful. Those belongings meant the world to him.

Carefully opening the box, with his always-shaking hands, he stared at the items.

The necklace was dazzling. Its chain was thin with a golden charm in the shape of a heart dangling from the end. It was so precious: not because of the price, which must have been huge, but rather the meaning.

Finally he looked at the other item. A photo. It was small, faded, black and white. A layer of dust had gathered on top of it so, which one swift swipe of his wrinkled hand, Michael got rid of it, revealing the picture.