Chapter 5 (Jimin is Everything)

"Some days, you don't wear makeup either. I like those days too," he says.

"You... how do you even notice?" You blurt.

"I just do," he responds, still smiley.

Your face is very warm, so you look away toward the window beside you.

The glass is tinted, making you feel safe.

You see some of your coworkers filing out of the building.

You feel it as Jimin turns his body toward you.

"I'm sure you know... why I asked you here. If you pretend you don't know... I'll understand. And I'll let you go."

His voice is quiet, and calm.

You don't think he could be any more Jimin-like than he is now.

So considerate and sweet, even when giving someone the opportunity to turn him down.

You wouldn't even have to say the words, he's telling you.

You only had to pretend you didn't know what he wanted.

And that was Jimin.

The core of what you like about him.

Always so sensitive to the needs of others.

So thoughtful.

You stare at the window pane.

If you said yes to him, what would happen?

You would probably have to always talk to him in secret. Careful, hiding.

He would always be busy, occupied, stressed, away... so technically not the ideal boyfriend.

But he was Jimin.

So kind, so sweet, so hard working, so gentle...

The smiles... the voice...

Your heart wanted him.

It shone a beacon on him, called out to you for him, beckoning frantically like it had never called out for anything else to your attention before.

"How are you feeling? Are you better?" you ask into the glass.

"Yes. I was better right away the next morning. Thank you for staying with me that night."

"Is that why? Because I was there for you...?" You keep your voice as smooth as possible, trying not to let even an ounce of feeling into it.

Because you want to hear his true answer, not one guided by how you feel.

"No," he says immediately.