Chapter 21 - Help

{Monday 10 July}

~ Charlie's POV ~

School soon finishes and I'm glad because ever since I introduced Knox to everyone, both Ryder and I have been on edge. Something is clearly bothering him and I still feel unsafe around Knox. 

I'm glad that Ryder and I have art together last period because it meant that I could calm him down a bit. I don't think he's jealous or mad or pissed that I kind of made friends with Knox, he seems more upset than anything. 

Maybe even upset with himself, which I really don't understand but hopefully, I'll find out. Ryder decided that he would spend the afternoon at the cafe while I work and then come to my place and work on my car. 

I happily agreed because I really am falling for him at this point and I also want to know what is wrong. I drive to the cafe and Ryder follows in his car. 

We go inside together and he kisses me before I get to work and he makes himself comfortable on one of the couches after ordering a coffee. I set about making his coffee and I watch him, smiling. 

He's so sexy, I really don't know how I got so lucky.

~ Ryder's POV ~

I watch as Charlie brings me my coffee happily before getting back to work. Fuck, I need to keep her safe. I pull out my phone and dial Delphine's number. She picks up after the second ring and I relax slightly. 

"Hey bro, what's up?" she asks cheerfully through the phone. 

"The last angel. He's here in the town, he joined the high school and has become friends with Charlie" I reply, anxiously. 

"Oh no. Ryder, I'm so sorry. What are you going to do?". 

"I don't know, that's the thing. I don't even know how to keep her safe. He could try and kill her tonight for all I know". 

"Oh ummm well, is there anything I can do to help?". 

"Yes actually, do you think you could get a guardian angel to watch over Charlie whenever I'm not with her until I figure something out?". 

"Umm I can try, but I can't promise anything. Gimme two seconds" she says before putting the phone down. Fuck, I understand why God chose her to be a guardian angel. 

She is literally the sweetest person ever and she is still only a kid. Yet she acts so mature and is an amazing fighter. If only I was a guardian, then I could protect Charlie without a worry. 

But no, I went and got my stupid ass kicked out of heaven and now I'm paying the price. I hear movement through the phone and snap out of it. 

"You still there Ryder?" she asks concerned. 

"Yeah, I'm here". 

"Good. Now I was able to pull some strings and get you the best that I could manage. It's not exactly what you wanted but it will have to do and you owe me". 

"I know, I promise I will pay you back. Anything you want. What were you able to get me?". 

"A guardian will watch over her at night, 9 pm to 7 am but that's it. You're on your own for the rest". 

"Yay, thank you so much, Del. I really do owe you. What would you like? I'll do anything?" I reply happily. She pauses and then chuckles. 

"I want you to do something good, something that will get you back into heaven, maybe even make you a guardian," she says sweetly.