Chapter 9 - Thoughts

{Monday 3 July + Tuesday 4 July}

~ Charlie's POV ~

"How was school Adette?" Mum asks cheerfully. 

"It was great!" Adette replies grinning. 

"I got to see Iris and all my other friends and Miss Carter and we spent the whole day doing fun things because it was my first day back". 

"Wow, sounds like you had fun today" Mum says before kissing her on the cheek and putting her down. Adette beams at her before running back to the couch to watch the TV. 

Mum pulls me in for another hug, squeezing me tight. She let's go of me and we walk into the kitchen and she helps me make dinner. 

"How are holding up sweet pea?" Mum asks, giving me a sad smile. 

"I'm okay I guess, everything has just been very overwhelming today" I reply with a small smile. "But the real question is how are you holding up?". She sighs and looks at me, a tear sliding down her cheek. 

"Why'd he have to go?" She whispers sadly, looking at me. 

"I don't know" I whisper back, tears welling in my eyes. I walk over to her and hold her, letting her cry. She eventually stops crying and kisses me on the cheek. 

"Come on, Adette will be hungry and she shouldn't see us like this" she says with a small smile. I nod and go back to what I was doing. We continue to make dinner, talking about how my day at school was and how her conference went. 

When dinner is ready, we all sit and eat it at the dining table while listening to Adette babble on about how she missed everyone and how tomorrow they are going to go art and dance which are Adette's favourite things to do. 

We finish and I clean up and do the dishes while Mum puts Adette to bed. I finish and go up to my room and start on my homework. Time seems to disappear because when I look at the time on my phone it reads 10 pm. 

I decided to stop for the night and get ready for bed. I get ready and go say goodnight to mum before climbing into bed and falling asleep.

I wake up sweating and crying. I fumble around for my phone to check the time. It reads 4:30 am. I'm scared shitless. 

I'd just woken up from the reoccurring dream I'd been having, except this time, instead of the man just being dressed in all black, it was Ace. I can't sleep in here alone I think to myself. 

Suddenly I hear a thud and my hand flies over my mouth of stop myself from screaming. I get up and turn my light on before walking back over to the window. I open my curtains and look out into the night, but there is nothing there. 

Fuck, I'm going insane I think to myself. 

I close my curtains and grab my blankets off my bed and shuffle quietly out of my room and down the hall to my mum's room, turning my light off as I leave. I go into my mum's room and see her in her bed. 

"Mum" I whisper. She stirs and rolls over to face me. 

"What's wrong baby" she whispers, a hint of worry in her voice. 

"I had the dream again" I whisper back. 

"Aww bub, come here and sleep with me. You safe here" she says quietly. I shuffle over to her bed and climb in, pulling my blankets over top of me. 

She pulls me in for a hug and then kisses me on the forehead, rolls back over and goes back to sleep. I feel safer now and I close my eyes and fall back asleep.