Asphodels and bad news

Nico POV

After teaching the seventh years Nico had a free period. Deciding it was best to use the free time to relax he went to the herbology class. He didn’t know if Pomona had a class or not, hopefully she didn’t.

Persephone used to be mean to him. She even turned him into flowers when Hades wasn’t looking. But after the war she had finally decided that Nico wasn’t so bad. They really connected together when Persephone accidentally walked in on him playing guitar. She used to think of him as an annoying moody kid who was the product of the husband’s cheating ways. But after hearing him play a sad song Nico himself had created Persephone gave up her mean ways and started to treat Nico as her son.

Two good things happened from this; 1) he now had a caring mother and 2) plants loved him. He smiled at the memory and focussed back to where he was heading.

He surprised himself to see that he had already arrived. Nico knocked on the door and then entered. Unfortunately Pomona had a class. He came up to her and whispered “I was wondering if I could come here some time when students aren’t here. Plants calm me down and they all seem to love me too.”

She nodded in a trance as she was still shocked that the all the plants had seemed to be trying to reach out to him the second he walked in. He was about to leave when Pomona asked him if he wanted to stay. Grinning to himself Nico nodded.

“Students, Professor Di Angelo will be staying with us for today’s class.” Yes Professor Sprout was heard throughout the green house. The plant in front of him made him smile. It was an asphodel!

There is a field of asphodels in Elysium and even better the plant is sacred to Persephone! It was like Pomona knew he would join this class. Pomona asked the class what is an asphodel. No one answered; everyone was glancing around at each other and not looking into Pomona’s eyes. “Professor Di Angelo if you please. Do you think you could help out my troubled students?” Chuckling slightly at her joke he nodded.

 “Asphodels, also known as the royal staff, are part of the lily family and have long, slender leaves. The powdered roots of asphodel are used for potion making. The Draught of Living Death uses it. This potion makes the drinker go into a very powerful sleep, almost deathlike. This is quite funny because it is said that in Greek mythology there are some asphodels in the underworld, which is where the dead live. The powdered roots of asphodels are also used in the Draught of Living Death’s counter potion, the wiggenweld potion.”

 Everyone, including Pomona stared at him shocked. He didn’t know if it was because he talked so much that they could hear his Latin/Greek accent or because he was so intelligent and knew so much about the plant. Nico guessed it was a bit of both.

He looked down at his watch and saw that the bell was going to ring soon. “As pleasant as this was I must be going. The bell will ring in a few minutes but I will be sure to come back some other time.” Nico then stood up and walked out of the green house. 

He leaned on a tree trunk when he arrived at the lake. Staring into the water Nico frowned, He missed Percy. As if the gods had heard him the air beside him started to shimmer until Nico saw Percy in an IM. Nico did not become happier by the sight before him since his boyfriend was in no way cheerful. Percy looked stressed out and ready to ry.

“What’s wrong Percy?” Nico blurted out the second Percy’s faced showed up on screen. Looking straight into the eyes of his boyfriend Percy told him the worst words imaginable before swiping out the iris message and letting Nico sink into the shadows and appear in camp Half-Blood.

Nico could only focus on the same words over and over again.

“Hazel is missing.”