Chapter 28

"Hi Bear!" Yugyeom's sister says after opening their gates.

"Good morning," I greet her back.

"Come on, Mom's waiting for you. Dad's also there," she says as she pulls me by the arm.

I've been in their house thrice now. This will be the first time I'm meeting their father. It doesn't really bother me because my bigger problem is Yugyeom never went out his room to at least see me.

I greet Mrs. Kim and introduce myself to Mr. Kim.

"Oh, you're that Y/N?" he asks with hint of recognition.

"Yes, Sir. Do you... know me?"

"I know your name. Yugyeom has it tattooed by his collarbone, written in Hangul."

He what? He got my name tattooed? What the hell does that even mean?

"I went with him that day. It's part of his bucket list so all I can do is support," Mr. Kim explains further."

"When did he..."

"Last year, I think? He got home late and told us he just took someone home. The next day, he wanted to get a tattoo."

Is that the time he took me home and we ate somewhere? But why would he do that? A tattoo? That's almost permanent.

Does he love me?

Mrs. Kim said he probably does since he didn't tell me about his sickness. But since when? I mean, since when did it come back? After what happened to us, he dated Aileen. So how?

"You're here again?"

We all look at the doorway where Yugyeom's voice came from.

He became thinner. I have always liked that he's tall and lean but now, he looks really frail. I can see the bags under his eyes even though he's four feet away from me

He looks tired.

"Hey, brother, come and eat. Bear just arrived. Eat with her," his sister says while pulling him to sit beside me.

Weirdly, Yugyeom just goes along. His parents look at each other but neither knows why he suddenly changed.

"Why do you keep on calling her Bear? It's Gummy."

"Both came from Gummybears so shut up."

"Okay, kids," Mrs. Kim calls for our attention. "We have to leave for work now. Will you three be okay here?"

"Of course, Mom! I'll keep Bear entertained if ever Yugyeom starts bitching again."

"Watch your words, Ms. Kim. Let your brother and his... friend... talk."

The adults go out, leaving the three of us in an awkward silence. It would've been not awkward if Yugyeom just stops staring at me.

"Okay so it's my cue to leave. You guys have fun eating! Knock on my door when he starts acting up, Carebear," Yugyeom's sister winks at me. I couldn't say anything. I just watch her go upstairs, leaving me with a stoic Yugyeom.

"Eat up so you can go home. You should spend your Sundays elsewhere. There's nothing to do here."

I look at him and try to read his thoughts. He didn't talk to me the past weeks and now that he did, it's to make me never come back again.

"Fine," I say so he'll stop staring. He doesn't. I start eating and let the awkwardness fade away. I let myself enjoy the food since this is probably the last time I'll be here. I cut some pancakes and offer it to him.

"I'm not hungry," he answers.

"You don't eat just because we're hungry. We eat to live," I push the fork closer.

"Will my life get longer if I eat that?"

That's it. "Are we going to have this conversation right now?"

He sighs and finally takes his gaze away from my face. "I won't be okay again..."

"I know," I answer.

"The cancer cells will just return even though I go chemotherapy."

"I know."

"We'll be wasting money trying to lengthen a life we know will end."

"Everyone's life will end. We all do things to make it longer. What's the point of eating healthy and taking vaccines and stuffs like that?"

"The things is, they don't know when they'll die and they're trying to protect themselves from death. I have a deadline, Y/N. It's different. There's no hope. What's the difference of me dying in three months or a year from now? Why can't you let me go?"

"There is a difference. We can do a lot of things on the nine months gap they have. Of course, I don't want to let go of you, not this soon. Especially because I know, there's still a chance for you. Yes, the cancer cells might come back. Yes, you might struggle during chemo. But I'd rather try everything than give you up that easily. I can't just let you give up like this. We'll both fight. Every second that adds to your life because of those treatments will be so much worth it."

"No. I'm done with my life. I already did everything I wanted while I still can. I have no regrets."

"Then what about me?"

He looked at me as if he's trying to read my mind. As if I'm being ridiculous. But I'm not. He once asked me what he would be if I go. I couldn't find the answer. But if I lose him, I know perfectly well how I would end up.

"You're still young, Gummy. You can still do a lot of things."

"Coming from you? Like you're so much older than me? Stop acting high and mighty."

"You'll meet a lot of people. Don't waste time on me anymore."

I scoff and smile at him. That's it. "Guess what, Yugyeom. You just gave me an idea. You can't leave me because I won't meet a lot of people anymore. You can ignore me all you want but I won't ever go. You're stuck with me for the rest of your life."'