Chapter Twelve: True Love Itself

“Will Luke and Kayla please come to the stage?” the teacher repeats. Suddenly I feel sick to my stomach. My face turns a shade of pale white and my palms are drenched with sweat. I swallow hard as I get up and take my starting position. As an act of comfort Luke takes my hand and squeezes it.

                “This is what we’ve been waiting for, Kayla. Show everyone what you’re made of. Lena’s here…I saw her, but I don’t want you to think about her. Just pretend it’s you and me in rehearsal. It’s no big deal.” Luke says looking me straight in the eyes. I nervously wipe a tear from my cheek and nod.

                “Tell us what inspired your duet.” The teacher says tapping his foot.

                “Well, our piece is a love story. There is no inspiration other than true love itself.” Luke says confidently.

                “Is that true, Kayla?” The teacher repeats. A simple yes is all that mumbles out of me. The professor nods his head and pops in the CD. Luke quietly walks to the center to take his starting place. The soft beautiful music flows out of the stereo and Luke begins to dance. He looks so fluid and beautiful. He would make a great professional dancer. My que comes and without thinking I dance. Performing my role on the stage. I take a big leap into Luke’s arms and he smiles up at me as he twirls me around. At this moment I let everything go (insert “Let it go” jk jk) all the problems I've encountered evaporate out of my soul and I feel pure. By now the steps and choreography is encrusted in my brain so I don’t have to think about what comes next. The only thing I have to think about is to look in love…but I don’t have to because I already am.

                The dance continues on gracefully until I stumble out of a triple pirouette. I keep going and try to recover from the small mistake, but I can’t help looking at Lena’s snickers in the back of the class room. Luke picks me up into our complex over the head lift. I hear him whisper into my ear

                “Keep going.” Luckily no one saw the faint whisper. He sets me down as the beating of drums erupts the class room. I move to the corner of the stage and prepare for the grand ending. But instead, without thinking I quickly nail and triple pirouette. Feeling satisfied that I redeemed myself we continue into the ending. Luke has a look of “That wasn’t part of the choreography!” in his eyes, but I ignore it. He kneels down and holds my hand while I spin over and over. He suddenly stops me and stands up. With the crash of cymbals still going he lifts me high into the air and…kisses me.

                The music ends and my mind is racing. That wasn’t part of the dance! He wasn’t just supposed to kiss me. Although the kiss was nothing major just a little peck I can’t help but blush. The whole class seems impressed and they clap for us. The teacher also erupts in applause before coming over to us in the center of the room.

                “Now class, we all know that sometimes choreography calls for a kiss in the dance. These two executed the kiss so well that it’s something we are going to work on in the next class.”

                OH GREAT. Because of our unplanned kiss the whole class is going to have to learn it. The misery never ends…I swear.

-

                “The fact that it was a great addition to the dance is beside the point Luke!” I scream. “I didn’t know you were going to kiss me. It would have looked a lot better if I had known beforehand.” I mumble while shaking my head.

                “Well, in all fairness I didn’t know you would do a triple pirouette before the ending!” He takes his shirt off and puts it in his bag.

                “Excuse me? I was trying to—“ Before I can even finish my sentence Luke smashes his lips against mine. His soft lips brush against mine sending me straight to heaven. His hands delicately reach up and cup my face and mine follow and rest on top of his. He pulls away and rests his forehead on mine.

                “You know that’s the kind of kiss that should have been in that dance.” He says kissing the tip of my nose.

                “Yeah whatever.” I say biting my lip trying not to smile. “I’m gonna go catch up with Elle. I’ll text you later.” I say

                “Bye, Kayla.” Luke says.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know short chapter. It's a little bit of a filler chapter, but I thought I should put something out. Also, I GOT 400 READS WHOOOOOOOOOO! I honestly never even thought I would get more than 100 views. I was just writing this story for myself, but now it's a little more than that :) The kiss in this chapter is on the side!