Chapter 16

"I wonder what's keeping the guys?" questioned Jessica.

"They went to explore some dark ass cave," Chase replied, walking awkwardly back to sit down near the fire.

Spaf rolled her eyes. "Oh well, they'll be fine."

"I don't know about you guys, but I'm bored," Sky stated impassively, not really expecting a response.

"You'd think someone who went missing would be less difficult," Rose teased. Sky flipped her off.

Spaf's face lit up as a thought crossed her mind. "That reminds me. Jess?"

"Yes?" Jessica turned to face Spafina.

"Do you have any clue what might've happened to Nikki or Aaron?" The blonde raised her eyebrows in surprise.

"Let's not talk about my sister," she replied curtly as she turned away.

"Why not? She's your sister. Don't you miss her?" Sky added, suddenly wanting answers too. Jewel scooted closer to her own sister.

"No." Jessica sounded withdrawn and her expression was blank. Her friends gawked at her, dismayed.

"Did something happen?" Jewel pried carefully. Jessica had her head held down, long blonde hair blocking her vision.

She raised her head slowly, faint tears glistening in the moonlight. "Do you know how much bullshit she's put me through?!" Her voice was raising in anger and she stood up and glared at them all.

"Jesus! Jess, I'm sure you can calmly explain what's wrong." Rose attempted to soothe her friend, pulling her closer and sitting her back down. By now, everyone had known about her past and her diagnosis, so they assumed that was the matter.

Jess began to mumble. It was audible enough, but some still had to strain to understand her. "The name calling, the teasing, the downright disrespect..." Her voice grew shaky and her hands trembled slightly. "She referenced hard times in my life without remorse! When I was getting bullied in school for being a sensitive person, she was there, helping them!"

Her friends didn't know what to do; they couldn't comprehend the pain Jess was going through. "It's ok, Jess," they reassured comfortingly. The blonde stabilized herself.

She sighed. "I hope she gets whatever karma has in store for her. Hell, I'd-" A shrill scream interrupted the conversation.

"What in hell was that?" Chase murmured before suddenly standing up. "They must have found something in that cave."

" Oh, for fuck's sake, can't boys just stay still for one damn minute?" Rose groaned, expressing her distaste. Chase rolled his eyes.

"C'mon, lets go get them- Shit!" Chase felt a jarring pain where the bullet pierced his leg. Jewel had done her best with what she had, but it was very likely there'd still be shrapnel buried in his flesh.

"Stay with Rose. Protect each other. The rest of us will go save the guys," Jewel instructed firmly, giving him a look. He nodded reluctantly. "Where's the cave?"

"Not too far in. Head in that direction and go straight."

The girls took off.

»»-------------¤-------------««

The boys made a racket while trying to defend themselves. They scrambled out of the cave, screaming and firing their guns at the terrifying mutations. There were millions of spiders and all were bloodthirsty.

The girls arrived at the scene. They all found it hilarious and started to chuckle at the boys' situation until Colin hissed at them.

"Help us!"